Victoria's Go Sailing Day this Sunday
by Mike Sabey on 27 Oct 2011
More than 30 Victorian yacht clubs are set to play host for this year’s free annual community Go Sailing Day on Sunday sixth of November.
Greg Goodall and Brett Goodall Lulu Roseman
Bendigo Yacht Club is just one of them and despite being only half a century old, has punched well above its weight in recent years, producing numerous world champion sailors many from several families.
For this year’s Go Sailing Day, five generations from Bendigo’s famous international medal winning Goodall family will be helping to prove you are never too old or too young to hoist sail.
At Lake Eppalock on Sunday 6th November, four year old Gracie Goodall daughter of her world conquering father Brett will make her Go Sailing Day debut, whilst being closely watched by her sprightly 83 year old Great Grandmother, Nancy and proud Grandfather Greg.
Bendigo Yacht Club’s Commodore Margaret Grant says, 'We are very excited in this our fiftieth year to be using our new fleet of the Optimist training yachts. Lake Eppalock is close to full for the first time in over a decade and Bendigo’s Sea Cadets who have linked up with our club will be hand to assist with the anticipated flood of visitors.'
Go Sail day at a Glance around the clubs
• Visitors will be able to go sailing on anything from an off the beach dinghy (to an ocean going keelboat at the bay venues)
• Record number of regional clubs this year will expand the program into the biggest ever statewide day
• Three clubs (Royal Geelong YC, Latrobe Valley YC and Mornington YC ) will be conducting Sailability programs for people with all abilities
Sunday on November 6th from 10am – 3pm*.
It will give thousands of would be Jessica Watsons a unique opportunity to step inside a yacht club to soak up its unique atmosphere and enjoy the experience of enjoying affordable sailing at its best.
( * Visit www.gosailing.com.au for a list of participating the club and their hours )
Visitors will be introduced to hosting members who will show them a range of boats for a test sail. Club experts
will be on hand to provide advice on local sailing and boating opportunities, learn to sail courses, the club’s fun social scene and the tangible benefits of becoming a yacht club member.
Go Sailing Day will provide:
• Basic introduction to the water that will help visitors go sailing and provide them a great opportunity
• An easy path to access the great sport of sailing and boating
• Help people find the club or learn to sail course that best suits their needs and location
Sailing can be enjoyed by anyone aged five to 80 and is ideal for families, kids and those wanting to enjoy the on water lifestyle experience. Children 18 and under should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
More Info here
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/90008