OAMPS Insurance Brokers Victorian Youth Regatta 2013 is being hosted by McCrae Yacht Club this week. Victoria’s best up and coming junior and youth sailors will be in action from the ninth-14th April at the Pre OAMPS Clinic and the 2013 OAMPS Insurance Brokers Victorian Youth Regatta, racing for the State Champion titles.
Following Australia’s recent Olympic sailing success this next crop of aspirants will spend three days training under the watchful eyes of Yachting Victoria (YV) and Yachting Australia (YA) accredited coaches at McCrae at the Pre OAMPS Clinic.
Steve Walker, YV CEO commented 'McCrae is a fantastic club and venue for this event and we are looking forward to some top quality sailing. This regatta is the culmination of a long and successful season and Victoria’s best junior and youth sailors, some of whom we would hope to see as future Olympians, will be in action.'
The event includes a fantastic line up of youth talent from the Australian Sailing Squad, Victorian Institute of Sport and Vic Sailing Team across a number of classes including Olympic feeder classes; 420, 29er, Laser Radial, Laser 4.7, Bic Techno, Junior Classes; International Optimist, International Cadet, Minnow and Invited class; Viper.
McCrae Yacht club has a proud history of regatta conduct and most recently was the successful host of the 2013 9er National Championships. Club Captain Simon Merritt commented 'As one of the premier annual Victorian regattas McCrae is extremely excited to be hosting the 2013 OAMPS Insurance Brokers Victorian Youth Regatta. The combination of the Youth and Junior regattas is a great idea as it allows the younger sailors in junior classes to see for themselves the pathway and the exciting range of boats they can sail next all within the support structures of Yachting Victoria and Yachting Australia.'
McCrae Yacht Club's own Thomas Vincent, recently announced as a member of YA's Australian Sailing Squad will be competing. Thomas began his sailing and learnt to sail at McCrae's Discover Sailing Centre and has subsequently followed the pathways towards becoming an elite sailor. Another peninsula sailor to look out for this weekend is Laura Harding from Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron. Laura placed second (first of the girls) at the Minnow National Championships in January this year.
Pre OAMPS Clinic
• Tuesday ninth - Thursday 11th April
• McCrae Yacht Club- 690 Point Nepean Rd, McCrae
• Trained by the best YV &YA accredited Coaches
• Preparation for the 2013 OAMPS Insurance Brokers Regatta
• On water from 10pm – 3pm
2013 OAMPS Insurance Brokers Victorian youth Regatta
• Saturday 13th – Sunday 14th April
• McCrae Yacht Club
• Premiere annual Victorian Sailing Regatta
• Victoria’s Best Youth and Junior Sailors – future Olympians
• Regatta – PRO Race Management with experience running world, National and State Events across Victoria
• Briefing Time – 9:30am Saturday 13th
• Group (all competing sailors) Photograph – 9:45am Saturday 13th
• Presentation time – 4:30pm Sunday 14th
• Media invite – There will be an opportunity to go out on a boat on the Sunday to view the racing, times TBA.
by Elisha Keating
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
10:41 AM Tue 9 Apr 2013GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.