US Sailing reveals roster for 2014 US Sailing Development Team
by Will Ricketson on 21 Mar 2014
US Sailing has now revealed the roster of the 2014 US Sailing Development Team (USSDT), the pathway team for the US Olympic Sailing Program. The Development Team is comprised of athletes who have demonstrated elite talent and rank as America's top prospects for future elevation to the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider, and the US Olympic Team.
'The Development Team will compete this year on the sport's biggest stages, including ISAF Sailing World Cup events, the Combined Worlds in Santander, Spain, and the ISAF Youth Worlds,' said Josh Adams, Managing Director of US Olympic Sailing. 'We look forward to helping them along the way and watching them grow as athletes.'
Sailors competing in classes that will be used in Rio de Janeiro 2016 qualified for the USSDT at the 2014 ISAF Sailing World Cup Miami, America's premier Olympic classes regatta. The 2014 USSDT also includes all members of US Sailing's 2014 ISAF Youth World Championships team, which will compete July 12-19 in Tavira, Portugal.
The following athletes have been named to the 2014 USSDT:
• 470 (Men's Two Person Dinghy): Wade Waddell (West Palm Beach, Fla.) and Ian MacDiarmid (Delray Beach, Fla.)
• 49er (Men's Two Person Dinghy, High Performance): Trevor Moore (Naples, Fla.), Thomas Barrows (St. Thomas, USVI) and Joe Morris (Annapolis, Md.)
• 49erFX (Women's Two Person Dinghy, High Performance): Paris Henken (Coronado, Calif.), Helena Scutt (Kirkland, Wash.) and Debbie Capozzi (Blue Point, N.Y.)
• Finn (Men's One Person Dinghy, Heavyweight): Henry Sprague (Newport Beach, Calif.) and Gordon Lamphere (Lake Forest, Ill.)
• Laser (Men's One Person Dinghy): Erik Bowers (Excelsior, Minn.)
• Laser Radial (Women's One Person Dinghy): Christine Neville (Middletown, R.I.)
• RS:X (Men's Windsurfer): Raul Lopez (Miami, Fla.)
• RS:X (Women's Windsurfer): Solvig Sayre (Vineyard Haven, Mass.)
• Nacra 17 (Mixed Multihull): Taylor Reiss (Clearwater, Fla.) and Sarah Lihan (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.)
• Laser Radial (boy's one person dinghy): Luke Muller* (Ft. Pierce, Fla.)
• Laser Radial (girl's one person dinghy): Haddon Hughes* (Houston, Texas)
• International 420 (girl's two person dinghy): Audrey Giblin* (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) and Taylor Gavula* (Villanova, Pa.)
• International 420 (boy's two person dinghy): Jack Parkin* (Riverside, Conn.) and Florian Eenkema van Dijk* (Darien, Conn.)
• 29er (open high performance dinghy): Quinn Wilson* (Ojai, Calif.) and Riley Gibbs (Long Beach, Calif.)
• RS:X (boy's windsurfer): Pedro Pascual* (Cadiz, Spain)
• RS:X (girl's windsurfer): Charlotte Samson* (Clearwater, Fla.)
• SL16 (open multihull): Ravi Parent* (Bradenton, Fla.) and Nicholas Schultz* (Sarasota, Fla.)
*Denotes a member of US Sailing's 2014 ISAF Youth Worlds US Sailing