Sebastian Col wins Troia Portugal Match Cup
by Dobbs Davis on 29 Sep 2008
After a long day that started with having to defeat one of his own team mates from the French Match Racing Team, Sebastian Col and his crew of Gilles Favennec, Christophe Andre, Philippe Mourniac, and Olivier Douliard have won the Troia Portugal Match Cup.
French Match Racing Team K-Challenge - Troia Portugal Match Cup 2008 Wander Roberto ©
Getting past Magnus Holmberg and his Victory Challenge team 2-0 in an exciting Final series, Col and crew have taken the top prize of US$30,000 of the $125,000 purse and earned 25 points on the 2008 World Tour leaderboard.
'We started the day with a lot of pressure on us,' said the mild-mannered Col, 'since we felt that any of us could win, so we didn’t sail very well. But after beating Damien Iehl, we relaxed and started to really focus, and I think we sailed much better against Magnus in the Finals.'
The Troia Portugal Match Cup was the seventh of nine stages on the World Match Racing Tour. 'This was a great regatta for us,' said event Director Justino Machado, 'and we look forward to having the construction completed here at Troia Resort for an even better event next year.'
Troia Portugal Match Cup - Final positions
1. Sebastian Col (FRA), French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge $30,000
2. Magnus Holmberg (SWE), Victory Challenge $20,000
3. Mathieu Richard (FRA), French Match Racing Team/Team French Spirit $18,750
4. Damien Iehl (FRA), French Match Racing Team $13,750
5. Paolo Cian (ITA), Team Shosholoza $10,000
6. Torvar Mirsky (AUS), Mirsky Racing Team $8,750
7. Ian Williams (GBR), Team Pindar $7,500
8. Alvaro Marinho (POR), Seth Sailing Team $6,250
9. Adam Minoprio (NZL), Emirates Team New Zealand/BlackMatch Racing $2,500
10. Bjorn Hansen (SWE), Alandia Sailing Team $2,500
11. Manuel Weiller (ESP) $2,500
12. Nick Cherry (GBR), Cherry Racing Team $2,500
ISAF Match Racing World Championship Leaderboard (Top 8) - (After Stage 7 of 9)
1. Ian Williams (GBR) Team Pindar, 98
2. Sebastien Col (FRA) French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge, 92
3. Mathieu Richard (FRA) French Match Racing Team/ French Team Spirit, 87
4. Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Mirsky Racing Team , 53
5. Magnus Holmberg (SWE) Victory Challenge, 51
6. Paolo Cian (ITA) Team Shosholoza, 43
7. Bjorn Hansen (SWE) Alandia Sailing Team, 40
8. Mattias Rahm (SWE) Stena Bulk Sailing Team, 34
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/49287