Sailors for the Sea looks back on 2012
by Sail-World Cruising on 28 Dec 2012
Sailors for the Sea, a now not-so-new voice in ocean conservation, inspired in the USA but now spread to 13 other countries, and who educate and engage the sailing community in the worldwide protection of the oceans, looks back on 2012:
Sailors for the Sea - educating to protect the ocean .. .
1. Sailors for the Sea programs reached 27 states & 13 Countries in 2012!
2. 80% of all contributions go directly to marine conservation programming according to a third party audit.
3. 80 different regatta venues ran more than 170 Clean Regattas with 80,000 participants. 70% of these regattas were certified at the Gold or Silver level, up 50% from 2011.
4. Fourteen Rainy Day Kits in our free library of marine science lesson plans educated 20,000 children at 110 different sites!
5. Sailors for the Sea has been an active participant in the World Bank Global Partnership for Oceans since the inception of the GPO in February of 2012.
6. Regatta organizers rated their experience using the Clean Regattas program an average of 4.8 of 5 stars.
7. Sailors for the Sea Japan celebrated their one year anniversary.
8. Five America's Cup World Series certified as Clean Regattas, with 98% of waste recycled or composted at the final event of 2012.
9. Tiller, our resident Salty Dog, promoted awareness for endangered sharks during Shark Week.
10. Our successful 'Welcome Aboard!' benefit in New York City featuring Charlie Rose, Dr. Jane Lubchenco and Sir Russell Coutts helped chart a strong financial course for 2013.
If you are moved by what you read, see, or hear about Sailors for the Sea, please support us. Your fully tax-deductible charitable gift will have a powerful impact on our ocean conservation goals.
To learn more about Sailors for the Sea, do go to their www.sailorsforthesea.org!website
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/105067