Mattia Camboni’s day went from great to fantastic after bringing in three wins from three races to give him the lead in this year’s RSX Youth World Windsurfing Championships. Hadar Heller from Israel extended her lead in the women's fleet over Italian Marta Maggetti. The Medal Races are scheduled for 9:30am on Saturday.
After a stormy Thursday, Friday welcomed the sailors with grate weather conditions and delivered three successful races.
In the men's fleet Mattia Camboni (ITA 88) took a strong position after winning three last races, under the attentive eyes of Alessandra Sensini (who arrived in Civitacvecchia for the last two days of the competition). The triplet of wins gave Mattia Camboni, a local from Lega Navale Civitavecchia, the boost from third place to first with net of just 17
points. Camboni enters the medal race tomorrow with a 15 point lead over Israeli Mayan Rafic (ISR 900) who scored second, third and 21st in the last races which moved him from sixth to second place overall, with 32 points. Argentinian Bautista Saubidet Birkner (ARG 401) who was leading after 6 races finished ninth, 10th and 18th, closing the day with net 33 points and third position overall.
Mattia Camboni said 'I had a good feeling with the wind and the equipment today, which is one the most important elements. Then if you’re also able to read the wind well it makes it much easier. To see my rivals having difficulty also helped me psychologically. My focus was to stay in top three in round one, and then do my best in the final races. This has happened so I am very happy with these results. Tomorrow I will try my absolute best to finish what I've started.'
Another Italian, Daniele Benedetti slipped off the podium to fourth place from second yesterday, with 36 points after arriving in third, 16th and 25th. He is followed by French Igor de L'Hermite in fifth (50pts), Russian Evgeny Ayvazyan in sixth (51pts) and Israeli Yael Pa in seventh (58pts). In the Medal Race there are also Italian Michele Cittadini (59 points), Frenchmen Victor Rigolot (65pts) and Israeli Baz Bell (66 points).
In the women’s fleet, Israeli Hadar Heller (ISR 9) has extended her lead even more thanks to a victory, second and sixth position today taking her into the Medal Race with 21 points. Second is Italian, Marta Maggetti (ITA 157), who sits
with 32 points after scoring first, sixth and 17th in the last races. Maggetti will need a win tomorrow with Heller taking seventh place, to take the title.
Entering the Medal Race in third position is Maelle Guilbaud from France (FRA 551) with 55 points after finishing fourth, seventh and 15th. With only three points more, in fourth position is young Russian Stefania Elfutina (58 points) who is also first in the U17 ranking. fifth position takes English Emma Watson (67 points) followed by Bérénice Mege from France with 74 points. To the Medal Race also qualified: Sara Lucille Wennekes (NED), Melanie Jariel (FRA), Imegen Sills (GBR) and Adi Yaffe Cohen (ISR)
Men's Medal Race is scheduled for 9:30 tomorrow (Saturday) with Women's Medal Race taking place afterwards. The top 10 male and female will carry GPS devices allowing us watch the Medal Races live at Sailing and Travel TV. 10th race is scheduled for remaining competitors later in the afternoon.
Results For The ENEL RS:X Youth World Windsurfing Championship 2013
Results men after 9 races (1 discard) :
1. Mattia Camboni (ITA 88): 2,2,1,3,(6),6,1,1,1 - Tot. 17 points
2. Mayan Rafic (ISR 900): 4,4,5,1,4,9,2,(21),3 - Tot. 32 points
3. Bautista Saubidet Birkner (ARG 401): 1,3,1,5,1,3,9,(18),10 - Tot. 33 points
4. Daniele Benedetti (ITA 60): 2,2,2,2,1,8,3,17,(25) - Tot. 37 points
5. Igor De L'Hermite (FRA 22): 4,11,3,1,5,5,(33),3,RDG18 - Tot. 50 points
6. Evgeny Ayvazyan (RUS 3): (12),7,6,8,3,10,6,9,2 - Tot. 51 points
7. Yael Paz (ISR 17): 10,5,4,4,9,4,7,15,(23): Tot. 58 points
8. Michele Cittadini (ITA 38): 7,8,8,6,6,2,8,14,(24): Tot. 59 points
9. Victor Rigolot (FRA 683): 5,6,11,2,2,15,10,(23),14: Tot. 65 points
10. Baz Bell (ISR 19): 14,4,5,7,4,10,(20),6,16: Tot. 66 points
Results women after 9 races (1 discard) :
1. Hadar Heller (ISR 9): 2,(7),3,1,3,3,6,1,2 - Tot. 21 points
2. Marta Maggetti (ITA 157): 7,9,1,3,4,1,1,6,(17) - Tot. 32 points
3. Maelle Guilbaud (FRA 551): (dnc),2,2,11,6,8,4,7,15 - Tot. 55 points
4. Stefania Elfutina (RUS 271): (17),13,10,2,7,17,2,3,4 - Tot. 58 points
5. Emma Wilson (GBR 961): 6,4,5rdg,21,10,2,7,12,(35) - Tot. 67 points
6. Bérénice Mege (FRA 295): 1,1,16,6,17,(29),3,18,12 - Tot. 74 points
7. Sara Lucille Wennekes (NED 203): 3,19,6,7,12,9,8,(24),21 - Tot. 85 points
8. Melanie Jariel (FRA 343): 4,15,11,18,14,6,18,2,(37) - Tot. 88 points
9. Imogen Sills (GBR 561): 9,8,12,20,15,4,11,10,(38) - Tot. 89 points
10. Adi Yaffe Cohen (ISR 4): 22,19.5rdg,17,9,(42),12,5,5,3 - Tot. 92.5 points
by RSX CLASS
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
9:23 AM Sat 26 Oct 2013GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.