Push the Boat Out - Showcase sailing to the nation
by Emma Slater on 23 Apr 2012
RYA ‘Push the Boat Out’ day, being held on 21st July 2012, is when we are asking boaters across the country to take to the water to showcase sailing to the nation and show their support for our Olympic and Paralympic sailors prior to the London 2012 Games.
Push the Boat Out 2012 RYA http://www.rya.org.uk
Almost 100 clubs and thousands of boats across the country from Edinburgh to Essex, Aberdovy to the Isle of Wight have already signed up to take part in Push the Boat Out day and will be hosting a whole range of activities and events. Some of the activities already planned include pursuit races, open days, taster sessions, mass flotillas, picnics, parties, fancy dress events and lots of fun and games.
You can find out what Push the Boat Out events are taking place near you with the new Sail for Gold Events map. Visit here
'We are hoping to get as many boats and people as we can out on the water on 'Push the Boat Out' day and create an amazing spectacle! It's a great opportunity for everyone to have fun on and off the water, so why not dress your club, centre or marina and your boats with bunting and make a real occasion of it.
'With 'Push the Boat Out' day taking place the Saturday before the start of the London 2012 Games and it will be a great to give the British Sailing Team a wonderful send off, with everyone waving flags and wishing them 'good luck' on 'Push the Boat Out' day', commented Celia Edgington, Sail for Gold coordinator.
Photos and good luck messages from the events can be posted on the Sail for Gold Facebook
page and they will all be forwarded to the British Sailing Team so they can see who has been taking part and what everyone got up to.
For more information about Sail for Gold, Push the Boat Out and details on how you can get involved click here
About 21st July:
• 21st July is the 203rd day of 2012 (just 163 days until the end of the year!)
• Cancer is the zodiac sign of anyone born on this day – including; Comedian Robin Williams, and Actor Ross Kemp
• 356 BC - The Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, is destroyed by arson.
• 1545 – The first landing of French troops on the coast of the Isle of Wight during the French invasion of the Isle of Wight.
• 1796 - Scottish poet Robert Burns died
• 1865 – In the market square of Springfield, Missouri, Wild Bill Hickok shoots and kills Davis Tutt in what is regarded as the first western showdown.
• 1925 – Sir Malcolm Campbell becomes the first man to break the 150 mph (241 km/h) land speed barrier at Pendine Sands in Wales. He drove a Sunbeam at a two-way average speed of 150.33 mph (242 km/h).
• 1983 – The world's lowest temperature is recorded at Vostok Station, Antarctica at ?89.2 °C (?128.6 °F).
• 2007 The last and final Harry Potter book goes on sale 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' written by J. K. Rowling. 10 years after the first Harry Potter Book was published.
• 2012 RYA Sail for Gold Push the Boat Out day
Join in and be part of 21st July history!
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/96414