Product of the Week- Avoid that sinking feeling - Drain Plug Reminder
by David Pilvelait/Sail-World Cruising on 16 Oct 2011
Have you ever launched the dinghy from the boat and then, in horror, watched it start gurgling to the bottom? Or slid the dinghy down the beach, waved goodbye to your friends, pushed off and got your feet wet as you paddled away, sinking fast and feeling stupid because you forgot to replace the bung? This Product-of-the-Week will ensure that you'll never have that sinking feeling again.
Safe launch system, shown here on a trailer sailer SW
Missing drain plugs are also a common cause of trailerable boat sinkings. According to Boat U.S. Marine Insurance, the cost of repairing a boat that has been underwater, even briefly, is usually about 40% of its value.
The Safe Launch Drain Plug Reminder System places the reminder where it's needed the most - in the drain hole.
It's so simple that you will wonder why you didn't have it before, and very easy to install:
1. Remove Safe Launch strap and flex hook from packaging.
2. With your boat or personal water craft (PWC) already out of the water, on the deck or secured to its trailer, remove your drain plug and insert the Safe Launch flex hook into the drain hole. The Safe Launch flex hook will not impede the flow of water out of the hole. (Tip: Once the hook is inserted in the drain hole, tug on the hook to ensure it is firmly in place. If your plug detaches completely, be sure to put it in a safe place.) See Fig. 1.
3. If not already attached, locate the clip at the end of the Safe Launch strap and attach it to the spring circle of the flex hook.
4. At the opposite end of the Safe Launch strap from the clip, you will find a circular split ring. Pry apart the split
ring and attach it to either a strong point on the boat or the trailer tie-down strap nearest the drain hole. See Fig. 2.
5. The Safe Launch Drain Plug Reminder System is now in place. Before you can launch your boat or PWC, you will have to first remove Safe Launch from the drain hole—which will remind you to insert your drain plug! And, because Safe Launch is permanently attached to your boat or the trailer’s tie-down strap nearest
the drain hole, the loose strap will also remind you to reinsert the Safe Launch hook each time you pull your boat or PWC back out of the water and onto your trailer.
6. To adjust the Safe Launch strap, use a flat head screwdriver to pry open the buckle clamp at either end of the strap. Remove the strap from the buckle. Fold the strap to the appropriate length, and then reinsert the folded end into the buckle clamp. When you are certain that you have the correct length, close the buckle clamp, securing the strap. See Fig. 3.
Remove any excess strap with the cutting implement of your choice. (Tip: Make sure you only cut the excess strap material and not the portion of the strap connecting the clip and the split ring!)
The product costs around $20.00. If you can't find one in your local marine store you can buy it online by http://www.safelaunchstore.com/?utm_source=email_marketing_system&utm_medium=email&utm_content=14843065&utm_campaign=Product%20of%20the%20Week!clicking_here
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/89656