Olympic Silver Medalists report on the Six Weeks that Was
by Peter Burling and Blair Tuke on 26 Sep 2012
Peter Burling and Balir Tuke, Silver medalists at the 2012 Olympics in the Olympic Skiff (49er) report on a hectic six weeks since Weymouth
August 8, 2012 - Weymouth, England - Burling and Tuke cross the finish line winning their Silver Medal in the 49er class © Richard Gladwell www.photosport.co.nz
Thanks for an awesome month, New Zealand ... below is a snapshot of a few of the things we have been doing...
• Awesome home town ticker-tape parades / receptions in Kerikeri and Tauranga.
• We’ve visited lots of schools in Kerikeri, Tauranga and Auckland - including our old schools. Amazing memories - fun to share with lots of excited kids.
• Thanks to all those who packed out our home town yacht clubs for our 'welcome home' evenings. We were so proud to share our medals with the people who have helped us from the beginning.
• We had a blast in Christchurch at the official NZ Olympic team welcome home - what a fantastic day. We were privileged to visit Ronald McDonald house – it was great to see the pleasure our medals gave the kids and families.
We took the opportunity to visit Christchurch’s Naval Point yacht club – Peter has been to some fun regattas there – great to see they were getting back on their feet after the earthquakes.
• Also while in Christchurch we were guests on TV shows 'What Now' and the 'Erin Simpson show' - getting slimed on 'What Now' was a new part of the Olympic experience.
• We were invited guests of Rodd & Gunn for the opening of Fashion Week and the Ellerslie horse races.
• In between this we have been sharing our medals with our sponsors and supporters.
• Both of us have been sailing A-class catamarans in Auckland – thanks Mike Drummond and Glenn Ashby for all your help. The strong winds have also been great for Peter’s new kiteboard.
• Peter presented the prizes at the annual Tauranga Yacht Club winter series - a series he loved competing in as a kid.
• Royal Akarana Yacht Club, our NZ 49er training base, presented us with their 'International sailors of the year' award - we did a Q&A at their prize giving.
• The very important Olympic debriefs have been completed. We are taking a rest for a few months before figuring how best to attack the light winds predicted for the Rio Olympics in 2016.
• Last week Blair headed off for a well earned rest in Europe starting with an iconic Contiki tour.
• Pete was lucky enough to attend the Springboks vs All Blacks rugby test –
being cheered onto the field by the 30,000 packed stadium with the other medallists at half-time and meeting the All Blacks was just incredible.
• Pete’s last major engagement before hopping onto the plane was at the Cloud, supporting Valerie at her Gold medal ceremony. A moving experience and wonderful for Val to finally have her Gold medal around her neck.
What next ... Pete is now in San Francisco looking forward to a bit of sailing with the AC45 Team Korea boys. He will helm in the Americas Cup (AC) World Series - 3 to 7 Oct. Blair arrives in San Francisco on 29th Sept.
Mid October Blair competes in the A-Class catamaran World championships in Florida while Pete is off to China for the China Cup - a fleet racing regatta in one design keel boats. We’re both back in NZ at the beginning of November.
Lots of fun – we’re both enjoying the ride.
Cheers for now, Pete and Blair.
Thanks again to our sponsors – YNZ, HPSNZ, NZOC, Pelorus Trust, ADASTRA, Club Marine, Harken/Fosters, Mackay Boats, Kaenon glasses, Donaghys, Lynn River gloves, Norths.
PS Blair has plenty of photos on his Facebook 'Blair Tuke'
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/102341