World Sailing Management (WSM), organizers of the MedCup sailing circuit, the official international competition of the TP52 and Soto 40 classes, regrets to announce to all those involved and interested in this prestigious circuit, that it has decided to suspend the 2012 season.
This difficult business decision was taken for the following reasons, all of them related to the economic and financial crisis affecting the whole world and Europe in particular:
- Serious uncertainty regarding the number of boats, mainly in the 52 Series (TP 52 class), willing to commit to compete in all of the events comprising the circuit with the risk of an insufficient number of competitors to ensure the competitive level reached by the circuit in previous seasons.
- The lack of financial resources available to local authorities in their bid to become potential venues for the events of the circuit, which limited the ability to address their usual obligations and maintain the circuit’s level of quality.
Together with the abovementioned factors, a decrease in the support needed from AUDI AG, which has been the circuit’s title sponsor, has led WSM to terminate, early and peacefully, the sponsorship deal linking both companies.
In brief, WSM believes that it is more rational to suspend the Circuit than let it continue with falling standards.
Nevertheless, WSM will continue to work during 2012 in order to overcome these difficulties, confident that it will be able once again to provide the sailing world with the spectacle that the MedCup Circuit has always been.
On board www.visitmalta.com
- Audi MedCup Conde de Godo Trophy 2011 - © Guido Trombetta/Studio Borlenghi/Audi MedCup
MedCup website Audi Statement
Audi restructures sailing commitment.
- Concentration on events in individual countries
- MedCup: Audi gives up role of name-giver and sponsor
- Kieler Woche continues to bear the symbol of the Four Rings
AUDI AG is restructuring its commitment in international sailing. Effective immediately, Audi is placing the main focus on supporting national activities and large-scale sailing events, while giving up the role of name-giver and sponsor of the MedCup regatta series.
Audi had been the title sponsor of the MedCup since the beginning of the 2008 season. Most recently, two boats sporting the colors of the carmaker based in Ingolstadt – Audi Sailing Team powered by ALL4ONE and Audi Azzurra Sailing Team – competed in the event as well.
'Wherever Audi is engaged in international sailing our brand stands for sporting competitions at the highest level,' stresses Lothar Korn, Head of Marketing Communications of AUDI AG. Sailing, he says, is one of the core sports of Audi’s sponsoring commitments. 'However, in the future we want to put a stronger focus on sailing events in individual countries – be it through the continuation of boat partnerships, commitments at tradition-steeped regatta weeks or at national regatta series,' Korn adds as he explains the decision.
The regattas supported by Audi include the 'Copa del Rey' off the coast of Majorca, for instance, the national Audi Sailing Series in Italy or the Kieler Woche, which is the world’s biggest sailing festival, attracting three million visitors every year.
Audi is paying special attention to the future of German competition sailing. Since 2010 the company has been supporting Sailing Team Germany, the German national sailing team, providing cars to the top sailors and pool vehicles for traveling to and from the regattas and practice sessions. The commitment is aimed at accompanying the talents on their way toward the 2012 Olympic Games in London in the best possible manner. https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/publish/ms/content/en/public/pressemitteilungen/2011/12/06/audi_restructures.html