'For the Briand 76 Lilla, said Nancy DiPietro, “Winning was one thing, but breaking the all time Marion Bermuda Race record in 2012 was something really special''
Fran Grenon Spectrum Photos
Click Here to view large photo
Think about the Marion Bermuda Race as a two tiered family retreat. While sailors like the challenge and adventure of a 645 mile Atlantic Ocean, Gulf Stream crossing to Bermuda, landlubbers can travel fast and dry, choose a two-hour ride on a 737 and a long weekend of fun in sunny Bermuda.
They’ll be enjoying pink sand beaches, snorkeling adventures, golf, tennis, island tours, historical museums, art and Bermuda cuisine— all while waiting in comfort for their sailor’s arrival. This makes the Marion Bermuda Race special— it’s a family affair.
So, get moving, get it in gear. You still have time to enter the 2013 Marion Bermuda Race. The start is Friday, June 14 and the early-bird discount entry fee doesn’t end until April 15. If you don’t make that deadline the fee goes up $150, and you could be putting that toward family time in Bermuda. June is high season in Bermuda, so it's essential to start making your hotel and plane reservations now.
And you still have time to sign up for Marion Bermuda’s Safety-at-Sea Symposium scheduled for 23-24 March in Boston. It’s smart to brush up on thinking safety; and for racers, a recent sanctioned seminar is required for 30% of crew members and for skippers or watch captains. In-the-water training, actually getting into a floating life raft with an inflatable lifejacket on, is available for limited enrollment. The Safety-at-Sea course is essential for anyone setting off on an offshore race, a cruise or just day sailing in the ocean or a large bay. Register for the seminar here.
Many social events are planned at the Royal Hamilton Amateur Dinghy Club (RHADC) and are designed for sailors’ extended family and friends waiting for 'their ship to come in'. Weekly children’s activities are offered simultaneously to allow adults a 'hands free' social experience. Group rate accommodations are also available. Events are subject to change depending on demand.
The Race Committee at the start of the Marion Bermuda Race always points toward the finish line 645 miles across the Atlantic and the Gulf stream off St David’s Lighthouse on the sunny isles of Bermuda - Talbot Wilson - Copyright Click Here to view large photo
Monday, June 17th
• St. David’s Lighthouse Cocktail party at the Finish Line! Witness the first boats approach Bermuda from this premiere location. Traditionally it’s a party for the Race Committee, Volunteers and Bermuda officials. This year the folks at the Lighthouse have gracefully extended an invitation to early guests. Transportation is provided.
Tuesday, June 18th
• Enjoy Tea (4:00 PM) at the RHADC hosted by the Governor’s Wife, Mrs. Margaret Fergusson. Experience a classic British tradition with Bermuda’s First Lady.
Wednesday, June 19th
• Fashion Show Luncheon (12:00 PM) at RHADC. Enjoy a delicious meal while feasting your eyes on the latest in Bermuda fashion from Beachwear to Eveningwear provided by downtown’s chicest boutiques!
• Wednesday Evening: Gosling’s Rum Tasting at the RHADC.
Thursday, June 20th
• A taste of Bermuda culture, literally! Renowned RHADC Chef John will share his delicious recipes for Classic Bermuda Fish Chowder and Codfish Cakes (with Gosling’s Rum). Master Bartender Phil will also reveal his secrets to making Bermuda’s signature drink, The Rum Swizzle! (With Gosling’s, of course.)
• Thursday Evening: See the colorful Gombey Performer’s tribal dance to drums in full costume. Make your own costume mask! A great activity for the whole family.
• Dancing under the stars! Try out your new-found Gombey moves, harbor-side by the light of the Tiki torches down at the Flip Flop Grill.
• Kids Movie Night at the RHADC.
Friday, June 21st
• Morning Cricket Lessons on the RHADC Tennis Courts
• Water-world Activities with Kids Sailing Clinic and Water Tramp
• One design racing. Race around the warm, turquoise harbor in one design dinghies in full view of the clubhouse. Creative Crew attire will be richly rewarded!
• Award Ceremony following. Awards will be presented for ... um... no particularly good reason! Whatever the Junior Judges feel is worthy, or notable in one way or another. Just fun. This activity will kick off the much anticipated Gosling Rum’s cocktail party following the race
• Friday Evening: Gosling’s Rum demonstrates a brilliant way to mix your Rum Swizzle - in the Washing Machine! Doing the wash has never been so intoxicating. Come get washed-up and partake of this hilarious and tasty mixer, followed by DJ and Dancing at the Flip Flop Grill of course. Good clean fun.
Saturday, June 22nd
• Explore a Shipwreck in a 2-hour snorkeling expedition off the coast of Elbow Beach.
• Evening Gala Awards Ceremony at the Dockyards with Ferry service provided from the RHADC.
Marion Bermuda website
by Talbot Wilson
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
7:27 PM Wed 6 Mar 2013GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.