Marina Port Vell Barcelona reveals its masterplan at MYS 2011
by Amy Halsted on 8 Oct 2011
Marina Port Vell Barcelona aims to become one of the world’s elite superyacht destinations and the pre-eminent home port in the Mediterranean through a radical transformation.
Marina Port Vell 2011 Monaco Yacht Show Press Conference. ..
During its Press Conference and Luncheon during the Monaco Yacht Show, Martin Bellamy, Chairman of Salamanca Group, announced that 'the transformation is underway' and highlighted the creation of a nautical cluster at Marina Port Vell with neighbours, MB92 and Pinmar.
Marina Port Vell’s management team were introduced, including Gabriel de Sandoval, Marina Port Vell’s General Manager who is also President of the Spanish Marinas Association and Vice President of the European Marinas Association and Norma Trease, Sales and Marketing Director of Salamanca Marine, a marine business providing advice on sales of berths at Marina Port Vell.
At the conclusion of formal remarks and a lively Q&A with assembled media and business leaders, guests remained for an hour or more for luncheon and the opportunity to discuss the project with team leaders one-on-one.
Critical commentary by the Marina Port Vell management team included the following key points:
• An overview of Salamanca Group which consists of Salamanca Capital Investments, Salamanca Private Clients and Salamanca Risk Management.
• The allure of Barcelona as a home port is enhanced by the positioning of Marina Port Vell as a world-class facility in a world-class city. With an international airport within easy reach, 20 premiere golf courses nearby, alpine skiing within two hours drive and unparalleled restaurants, cafés and culture, Barcelona offers MPV berth holders and superyacht destination seekers arguably the premier port in the Mediterranean. Moreover, Barcelona has been voted the 'best beach city' in the world by National Geographic, 2011.
• Work commences on the transformation of Marina Port Vell on 15th November 2011 following the Barcelona Boat Show. Autumn 2012 is the expected completion date.
• Marina development plans will provide berths from 10m to 180m with the highest demand expected in the 60m-90m range. 5-star concierge services, a restaurant and brasserie, captain and crew amenities, well planned security arrangements and the most innovative marina technologies available will ensure facilities will meet the standards of owners, their guests and crew alike. The close proximity of MB92 and Pinmar—both Pepe Garcí¬a-Aubert, MB92, and Sean Ewing, Pinmar, were in attendance at the event—further cements Marina Port Vell’s appeal as a home port benefiting from the advantages of a world class nautical cluster.
• Environmental considerations are of paramount importance including high tech water and waste management systems. The marina will provide electrical operations designed to reduce emissions and noise pollution.
• Marina Port Vell will build on its existing operations to deliver 5-star quality services and expects the staff to enhance their career opportunities as plans develop.
• When questioned on perceived competition from other marina projects such as Port Adriano and Porto Montenegro, Martin Bellamy commented that Salamanca Group see these marinas as being complementary and their development has helped to raise quality standards overall.
More at www.marinaportvell.com
Check out the media conference and concept at
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/89390