TP52 World Championship 2015 - Mallorca’s prestigious Puerto Portals will host the 2015 TP52 World Championship in July next year, returning to a venue which harbours very many happy memories for the class. The excellent facilities, very desirable location, reliable sea breezes and ease of travel access are just some of the key reasons that the TP52 class has chosen Puerto Portals.
The TP52 World Championship will once again be a constituent regatta of the 52 Super Series in 2015 and with eight new TP52s already confirmed to be building for next season, the World Championship title will be one of the hardest fought ever in 2015 as the fleet enjoys significant growth.
The exact size of the fleet for 2015 is still not known but the current expectation is for at least 12 boats representing 12 different nations.
'We are very excited to be going to Puerto Portals for the TP52 World Championships in 2015. We are pleased to see not only that the fleet is growing but it is becoming increasingly international. That was one of the goals we set as the world’s leading monohull circuit.' says Agustin Zulueta the CEO of the 52 Super Series.
Corinna Graf, CEO of Puerto Portals confirms that they had been looking to return to hosting top level international racing but they have been waiting the right opportunity.
'We were seeking an event which brings real prestige, a race which is of public relevance and a true top level sporting test. Being hosts of a stage of the 52 Super Series will bring great pride to the port. And crowning a new world champion in 2015 will add a new level of prestige.'
Rob Weiland, manager of the TP52 class, also is pleased to bring the World Championship to Puerto Portals World: 'It's a beautiful place to sail. I was here for the first time in 2005 for the Breitling Cup and have always loved the infrastructure and the ambience. Conditions will be excellent for racing and there are many good restaurants very close to the dock. I am convinced that the World Championship in Puerto Portals is going to be a great success. '
Puerto Portals has a long and storied relationship with the Class since it was adopted in the Med in 2005. From 2005 to 2008 the venue was a regular fixture on the MedCup circuit, usually with a royal presence and unique ambience. TP52 World Championship
• 2006 Miami Patches (IRL) Eamon Connelly (IRL)
• 2007 Porto Cervo Artemis (SWE) Russell Coutts (NZL)
• 2008 Puerto Calero Quantum (USA) Terry Hutchinson (USA)
• 2009 Palma de Mallorca Matador (ARG) Guillermo Parada (ARG)
• 2010 Valencia Quantum Racing (USA) Terry Hutchinson (USA)
• 2011Porto Cervo Quantum Racing (USA) Ed Baird (USA)
• 2012 not held
• 2013 Miami Rán (SWE) Niklas Zennström (SWE)
• 2014 Porto Cervo Quantum Racing (USA) Ed Baird (USA) Calendar:
The Barclays 52 Super Series 2014 is a calendar of four European regattas. They complement the US 52 Super Series which comprise Quantum Key West regatta which took place January in Key West ( USA) and was followed by a regatta in Miami, fifth to 9th March.
• Rolex Capri Sailing Week , Capri , Italy , 20-24 May
• AUDI TP 52 World Championship , Porto Cervo , Italy, 10-14 June
• 33 Copa del Rey MAPFRE, Palma, Spain , August 4-9
• Zenith Royal Cup Marina Ibiza , Ibiza, Spain , 17-21 September Event website