ISAF Sailing World Cup Hyeres - US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider Day 1
by Will Ricketson on 22 Apr 2014
2014 ISAF Sailing World Cup Hyeres - The US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider enjoyed a strong start to the final event in the 2014 ISAF Sailing World Cup series, with American athletes currently in the top ten in the Men's and Women's 470, Laser Radial, and Finn.
ISAF Sailing World Cup Hyères 2014 Day 1 Will Ricketson / US Sailing Team http://home.ussailing.org/
The Women's 470 team of Annie Haeger (East Troy, Wisc.) and Briana Provancha (San Diego, Calif.) reveled in a strong easterly breeze and choppy sea state in Hyères, and recorded a five, one scoreline on the day to assume the overall lead. Despite not having a clean start in either race, Haeger and Provancha were able to quickly recover and work their way up through the fleet. 'One of our goals for this regatta was first beat tactics,' said Haeger. 'We've been working hard on it, and today we saw again how valuable it is to have a good exit strategy off the line in case things don’t go exactly like you predict.'
Haeger also noted that the influence of new coach and three-time 470 World Champion Dave Ullman (Newport Beach, Calif.) has already paid dividends, even after only a few days of working together. 'On the first day, I actually took several pages of notes based on his thoughts after going out on the water for just 45 minutes. Not only does he have amazing 470 experience, but his tactical skills and weather knowledge are incredible. He is a huge help.'
In the Finn, Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.) came into today focused on avoiding big mistakes in the early part of his races. 'Staying clear and waiting for the first shift was always the plan on the first beat,' said Paine. 'Speed was also a major factor today. After the first shift it was a matter of playing the fleet and consolidating.' Paine finished seven, three in two races today.
Notable US overall results:
470 Men (81 boats):
- eighth overall, Stuart McNay (Providence, R.I.) and David Hughes (Miami, Fla.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
470 Women (51 boats):
- first overall, Annie Haeger (East Troy, Wisc.) and Briana Provancha (San Diego, Calif.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
49er (79 boats):
- 35th overall, Brad Funk (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) and Trevor Burd (Marblehead, Mass.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
49erFX (42 boats):
- 27th overall, Kristen Lane (San Francisco, Calif.) and Maggie Shea (Chicago, Ill.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
Finn (59 boats):
-3rd overall, Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
Laser Radial (79 boats):
- ninth overall, Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
Laser (123 boats):
- 14th overall, Charlie Buckingham (Newport Beach, Calif.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
Nacra 17 (77 boats):
- 21st overall, Sarah Newberry (Miami, Fla.) and John Casey (Longwood, Fla.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
RS:X Women (58 boards):
- 32nd overall, Farrah Hall (Annapolis, Md.), US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider
For full results please click here.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/121352