Global Ocean Race set to begin in less the 24 hours
by Oliver Dewar on 25 Sep 2011
The Global Ocean Race 2011-12 is set to begin in less the twenty-four hours and there is a general atmosphere of calm amongst the boats moored stern-to at the GOR Race Village in Palma, Mallorca, as the six teams make final preparations for Leg 1 which will lead them to Cape Town, South Africa.
Under 24 hours to the start of the Global Ocean Race 2011-12 © Jesus Renedo http://www.sailingstock.com
After a fortnight of clear blue skies over Palma, torrential rain on Saturday morning rendered any work on the fleet of Class40’s impractical and many teams retired to bars near the Race Village to watch the New Zealand – France game in the Rugby World Cup, returning to their boats shortly after midday.
On Sunday morning, Father Miralles from the San Sebatián Church will bless the GOR fleet before the six boats head out into Palma Bay at 11:00 local time. The start at 14:00 local time (12:00 GMT) is being jointly organised by the GOR and the Real Club Náutico de Palma (RCNP) and includes a short, triangular course before the fleet sails out of the bay.
During the past two days, Yellowbrick trackers were fitted to the six Class40’s and have now been synchronised with the GOR’s Geovoile Race Viewer to provide position, speed and heading data for each yacht every three hours; information that will be sent simultaneously to the six teams at sea.
The GOR website will be updated twice each day throughout Leg 1 with reports from the boats and offshore racing enthusiasts can race Class40’s along the same route as the real fleet via the GOR’s Virtual Game.
View a video introducing each team and their boats here
Global Ocean Race 2011-12 Leg 1 competitors and crew list:
1. Sec. Hayai (NED) Nico Budel and Ruud van Rijsewijk. 2007 Akilaria Class40 NED44
2. Cessna Citation (NZL/SPA) Conrad Colman and Hugo Ramón. 2011 Akilaria RC2 Class40 GBR112
3. Financial Crisis (ITA/GBR) Marco Nannini and Paul Peggs. 2007 Akilaria Class40 GBR41
4. Phesheya-Racing (RSA) Nick Leggatt and Phillippa Hutton-Squire. 2006 Akilaria Class40 RSA23
5. Campagne de France (FRA/GBR) Halvard Mabire and Miranda Merron. 2011 Pogo 40S² FRA101
6. BSL (NZL) Ross Field and Campbell Field. 2008 Tyker40 Class40 NZL76
Global Ocean Race website
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/88861