Dubai Traditional Dhow 22ft Sailing Race – Tough conditions
by DIMC on 7 May 2012
Dubai Traditional Dhow 22ft Sailing Race was held at Mina Seyahi Dubai International Marine Club on Saturday 5th May. Dahes, skippered by Mohammed Abdullah Mohammed Al Marzouqi powered its way to an exciting win.
Dubai Sailing Cup 2012 22ft Dhow Race DIMC
With unsteady low winds playing a crucial role in the progress of the race it was Dahes that ultimately crossed the finish line to clinch the top place after nearly one and a half hour on the waters.
Though strong winds between 12 to 15 knots had been predicted, it turned out just the opposite as winds fell between three and five knots making the sailors struggle to get gusts within their sails and move on in the race.
Ultimately, it was the astute leadership of Al Marzouqi that saw Dahes cross the finish line first to finish ahead of Al Iz and Muzahim to complete the podium.
'Never in the history of 22ft sailing did we have such a long race,' remarked Sid Bensalah, Sports Director of DIMC.
Dahes looked from the start maintaining a slender lead from its pursuers - the Sultan Ahmed Khadim Al Muhairi-skippered Al Iz and Atiq Mohammed Sabir Al Mazrouei-skippered Muzahim – who finally finished in second and third respectively.
DIMC board members Ali Bin Ghulaitha, Mohammed Suhail Al Ayali and Saeed Al Tayer were present at the post-race presentation along with DIMC Sports Committee members Huraiz Al Mur Bin Huraiz and Marwan Al Tayer.
'Given the tough conditions, only 51 of the 78 dhows managed to complete the race and it is a good sign in a way as this sort of racing would have given the sailors a glimpse of what to expect when we host the Al Gaffal race from Sir Bu Naair island to Dubai at the end of the month,' Bensalah pointed.
The Dubai Sailing Cup was the last competition for dhows before teams start preparing for the Al Gaffal race from Sir Bu Naair to Dubai on May 26.
Results - Top ten finishers:
Position, Name of Boat, Owner, Skipper
1. Dahes (Mohammed Abdullah Mohammed Al Marzouqi/ Mohammed Abdullah Mohammed Al Marzouqi)
2. Al Iz (Sultan Ahmed Khadim Al Muhairi/Sultan Ahmed Khadim Al Muhairi)
3. Muzahim (Atiq Mohammed Sabir Al Mazrouei)
4. Al Butinah (Butinah Pleasure Boat Company/Yousuf Ahmed Mohammed Al Hammadi)
5. Salik (Al Barsha Marine/Juma Suhail Al Tayer)
6. Wafi (Khalaf Buti Musabeh Al Ghashaish/ Khalaf Buti Musabeh Al Ghashaish)
7. Dana (Jabir Mohammed Jabir Al Hammadi)
8. Al Mushrif (Fadhel Ali Khalil Al Mansouri/Fadhel Ali Khalil Al Mansouri)
9. Shamardel (Saeed Mohammed Hareb/Sultan Saeed Hareb)
10. Al Zeeb (Ebrahim Ismail Al Marzouqi/Ebrahim Ismail Al Marzouqi)
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/96931