CYCA expands marina and car parking facilities
by CYCA on 27 Mar 2012
The Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, home of Australia’s blue water classic - the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, has completed stage one of its masterplan to redevelop parts of its marina and other land based facilities.
The completed D Arm extension. Credit CYCA Staff CYCA . http://www.cyca.com.au
Stage one of the redevelopment saw the expansion of arm D of the marina to provide an additional nine berths capable of accommodating vessels up to 18 metre in length, as well as an additional 65 metres of casual berthing space. The marina components were provided by Bellingham Marine and installed by Sydney Marina Contracting.
While the marina extension was being constructed, a redundant slipway was cleared and filled in, resulting in an additional 24 car parking bays being added to the existing supply of car parking. Overall, there are now 76 car parking bays on the entire site with a dedicated bay available for motorbikes and bicycles in the northern carpark.
Stage Two of the redevelopment will include the demolition of an existing hardstand and riggers area, the C arm deck, and the construction of a new hardstand across the entire waterfront (not including the decking in front of the club house). It is envisaged that works will commence on this stage sometime in April or May this year.
The CYCA development application was approved in October 2010 by the Joint Regional Planning Panel (Sydney East Region). Highlights of the development include;
* demolition of the building accommodating the New Beach Road Cafe, Pacific Sailing School, D&R Shipwright, marina office, and CYCA Youth Sailing Academy, both car parks, the slipway, c arm deck, and hardstand
* provision of 90 on site car parking spaces
* construction of a new 1-2 storey contemporary building to accommodate the services previously accommodated in the building being demolished
* basement car parking
* construction of a new Hardstand with separate jib and riggers crane
* reconfiguration of the access from the hardstand to B and C arms of the marina
* extension of Arm D to provide berthing for nine yachts up to 18m in length
* new accommodation for the marina and sailing office
* extension of Sydney Harbour Foreshore walkway across entire site
To see detailed plans of the CYCA redevelopment log on to www.cyca.com.au in the 'about us' section of the website.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/95306