Book of the Week- 'Expert Sailing Skills'
by Des Ryan on 29 Jun 2012
Looking for a present for your keen sailor? 'Expert Sailing Skills' is meant for those who can already sail, but caters for all those missing pieces of wisdom that the sailing school doesn't teach.
Tom Cunliffe speaking at a Green Blue Conference .. .
The author, Tom Cunliffe, has been sailing and writing about it for many years for a variety of sailing magazines, and is recognised as a world authority in the field. He has written more than 25 books, all on sailing, and this one is a beauty.
It covers everything from tips on dropping anchor to fixing an engine or using onboard electronics. Each chapter deals with a specific skill and is highly illustrated with step-by-step photos.
Perfect your spinnaker technique, learn how to dry out your yacht and pick up some tips for successful single-handed sailing. There's advice on everything from passage planning to boat handling and all delivered with easy to follow photographs and diagrams. Tom cuts through the theory to explain what really works -- often setting sail with normal yachtsmen and women to solve their cruising conundrums.
Just look at what the book covers:
1. Boat Handling: Secure alongside, Springing off, Rafting up, Mooring stern-to, Going astern, Negotiating locks, Easy anchoring, Mooring under sail, and Anchor under sail and power
2. Seamanship: Taming your ropes, Safe among shipping, Troubleshooting a diesel engine, Sailing in fog, Climbing a mast, Eye-splicing braidline, and Night sailing.
3. Navigation: Tidal curves, Staying safe with radar, Compass deviation, Radar and AIS,
4. Sailing and sail trim: Sail trim tips, Tacking and gybing, Sailing up river, Handling a Spinmaker, Cruising chutes and Reducing weather helm
5. Skippering: Briefing your crew, Cruising with children, Sailing with your partner and Keeping your crew happy
6. Emergencies: Running aground, Freeing a fouled propeller, Taking a tow, Man overboard!, Recovering a man overboard, Air-sea rescue.
It is a hard-cover A4 book which will turn out to be an invaluable aid to the already competent sailor.
If it is not available in your local marine store, find out how to buy it online by http://www.wileynautical.com/view/0/expertsailingskills.html!clicking_here.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/99077