Biobags for cruising sailors - helping towards a cleaner ocean
by Lee Mylchreest on 16 Oct 2011
Every cruising sailor agrees that our ocean is precious and is coming under more and more pressure from garbage, from overpopulation, from degradation and acidification.
Biobags come in many different useful shapes .. .
However, plastic and its many uses seem to be an inevitable part of the modern world, and no matter how hard you try, they are apt to end up in the ocean - thrown over, blown over, washed down the rivers. But here's a practical way that YOU can help to keep your part of the ocean clean - by using Biobags.
1. BioBag is completely compostable and biodegradable.
2. BioBag is made from the raw material MaterBi. Many grades are available for different applications. The material contains starch, biodegradable polyester and other natural plasticizers.
3. BioBag is completely composted after 10-45 days depending on method of composting.
4. BioBag can be produced with biodegradable master batch.
5. BioBag can be printed upon using Flexo print with up to 8 colours.
6. BioBag complies with the EU requirements for food packaging.
7. BioBag is certified by 'OK Compost' and 'Din Certco' according to the European Standard EN13432. The BioBag is also certified by BPI according to ASTM D6400 for North America.
8. The green ink used for printing, is certified by OK Compost according to the European Standard EN13432.
9. BioBag has a high barrier against penetration of viruses and bacterias.
10. BioBag is highly 'breathable', which means that the weight of the organic waste is reduced by up to 25 % in 5 days.
11. BioBag is more environmentally friendly in terms of production, transportation and treatment compared to other bags used for collection of organic waste.
12. Biodegradable and compostable films can be produced in thicknesses from 10 to 180 micron. The quality and product characteristics can be tailored according to need for specific products within carrier bags, hygiene film, mulch film, food packaging and other technical demanding application.
Even if your local supplier doesn't use these bags (and we hope one day they all will), you can! Especially when you go sailing, you can take your compostable bags along with you, use them many times, then leave them behind, or bury them, without worrying that you are harming the environment!
Find you really can't do without cling-wrap? Biobag produces cling film as well, and when you throw out the food, the cling-film can be thrown out to be composted too
It will, now in the future, be more and more important to use materials containing renewable resources to reduce/minimize negative environmental impact and support sustainable development. Biobags carrier bags made from Mater-Bi will contribute to this end!
After a Biobag carrier bag has been used and re-used several times, it can be utilized as a food waste bag and composted. In this way it becomes a natural part of our environmental life cycle. Compared even to paper bags Biobags bags constitute a better environmental alternative.
Once you've used Biobags, maybe you'll even be able to convince your local suppliers to use them too!
For full information about how to contact or purchase Biobags, http://www.biobag.no/default.pl?showPage=205!click_here.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/89663