Bethwaite Challenge - Fay and Chipchase top the Cherubs
by Rolf Lunsmann on 15 Nov 2011
Bethwaite Challenge 2011 - Current Cherub National Champions Trevor Fay and Nathan Chipchase, sailing Boob Buffer, have taken out the Cherub Division, sailed at Belmont 16ft Skiff Club.
Trevor Fay and Nathan Chipchase were the clear winners in the Cherub Division (Photo: David Price) - 2011 Bethwaite Challenge - Cherub Division David Price
With the Cherub class making its first appearance at the Challenge, sponsored by Bethwaite Design and the Belmont 16ft Skiff Club, a small but very competitive fleet of eight Cherubs faced the starters for race one. Among the starters were four of the boats currently running in the top five places in the NSW Cherub State Championships. Lined up against the National Championship crew, Fay and Chipchase were the current National Woman’s Champion Claire Lunsmann and the current National Cadet Champion Kris Fay. The event was sailed over seven short course races over two days.
Racing got underway on Saturday in 12 to 15 kts of easterly. Form boat of day one was Wally sailed by Kris Fay and Morgan Frew, who scored two wins and one second in the first three races. Second in the standings after day one were Trevor Fay and Nathan Chipchase. The two boats had shared the top two places in each of the day one races.
Day two brought lighter breezes and, with the Fay and Frew team unable to sail due to work commitments, the series was open to the rest of the fleet. The racing was very tight with three different crews each recording a race win and every boat in the fleet leading at least one of the races at some point in time. Race seven finished in a dramatic downwind gybing match with five boats crossing the finish line within ten boat lengths of each other. Belmont’s Brett Lancaster and Tom Drury in Causin' Haavik took the race from Stuart Kirkby and Kirren Thompson in Ricochet.
Amid all the place changes it was Trevor Fay and Nathan Chipchase who always managed to fight their way to the front of the fleet. Their 1, 3, 3, 1 placings secured a comfortable overall series win from Claire and Rolf Lunsmann from Lane Cove who finished a clear second in front of Brett Lancaster and Tom Drury.
Bethwaite Challenge Cherub Division final placings:
1. 3166, Boob Buffer, Trevor Fay and Nathan Chipchase, 1, 2, 2, 1, 3, 3, 1, 10pts
2. 3145, Alchemy, Claire and Rolf Lunsmann, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 4, 2, 15
3. 3158, Causin’ Haavik, Brett Lancaster and Tom Drury, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 3, 20
4. 3070, Ricochet, Stuart Kirkby and Kirren Thompson, 5, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 4, 26
5. 3160, Get Ya Cans Out, Simon Blatchford and Alex Moorcroft, 6, 3, 7, 4, 5, 5, 5, 28
6. 3144, Wally, Kris Fay and Morgan Frew, 2, 1, 1, 9, 9, 9, 9, 31
7. 3143, The French Tickler, Ashlee Holford and Matt Hall, 4, 5, 4, 9, 9, 9, 9, 40
8. 3136 Beaver Fever, Warren Dixon and Brett Dixon, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9, 51
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/90712