Please select your home edition
Edition
Protector 728x90

Alinghi give ultimatum to Team New Zealand

by Greg Ford, Sunday Star Times on 26 Oct 2008
Grant Dalton: given ultimatum by Bertarelli? Richard Gladwell www.photosport.co.nz

Team New Zealand will be kicked out of the next America's Cup if they don't drop their legal action against holders Alinghi.

Greg Ford writes in the Sunday Star Times:

In a new and serious development between the two feuding camps, the Sunday Star-Times has been told Alinghi recently sent Team New Zealand a legal letter with that ultimatum and if the Grant Dalton-led syndicate doesn't comply by December 15 the Swiss team owned by Ernesto Bertarelli plans to write a protocol for the next cup in 2010 specifically designed to exclude the Kiwis.

This explosive development has come as a 'bolt out of the blue' for Dalton. He said both parties had been negotiating an out-of-court settlement in recent weeks.

'And we thought we were pretty close to a settlement but then this letter arrived,' he said.

'They are trying to bully and intimidate us which is not going to get anyone anywhere really.'

Team New Zealand mounted a two-pronged legal case against Alinghi earlier this year. Dalton claimed Alinghi broke a promise to hold the regatta in 2009 and sought $60 million in damages.

It also contended Alinghi's protocols, or rules, for the cup were unfair and breached trust laws.

Alinghi returned serve and said that, when Team New Zealand entered the regatta, they agreed in writing they would settle any differences by mediation rather than in court.

Alinghi skipper Brad Butterworth supplied the Star-Times with the paperwork he claimed backed their case.

Alinghi have also been fighting a separate court battle with the Larry Ellison-owned Oracle syndicate, which is the main reason why the regatta has become becalmed.

Bertarelli, who won the most recent appeal in the ongoing saga, holds the whip hand in this battle and last week announced he would plough ahead with the next regatta in 2010.

Dalton said he 'applauded' the decision and is desperate to be part of the regatta. But that's now far from certain, unless Team NZ drop their case.

For the rest of this story http://www.stuff.co.nz/4739973a1823.html!click_here

Sail-World comment:

Alinghi and SNG are already on a course set for the 33rd America's Cup. Emirates Team New Zealand has already entered that event. Therefore they can't be refused entry to an event they have already entered, and been accepted.

The Defender is entitled to close entries by a certain date - now set at 15th December 2008, however this date would only affect teams who have not yet entered like BMW Oracle Racing, and others.

Once entered Team New Zealand becomes subject to subject to the conditions of the 33rd AC Protocol, which provides for an Arbitration Panel to hear disputes. That body has long been claimed to be independent by Alinghi parties.

Therefore it is a little odd that, if reported correctly, that Bertarelli can threaten to exclude a team on the basis of a yet to be held Hearing on a matter of breach of the 33rd AC Protocol. That is pre-determination of the outcome, and also calls into question the independence of the Arbitration Panel.

Secondly, if claims of amendment to the Protocol to exclude certain teams are correct, that also calls into question the oft stated position of the Alinghi parties that they are flexible and open to change in the Protocol,and that they are working co-operatively with the Challengers. If alterations to the Protocol are made, at this stage, at the behest of the Defender, that again calls into question the stance long taken by Alinghi and SNG that the Protocol is designed to advance their 'vision' for the America's Cup and improve the regatta, and not to 'jimmy the rules' so that the event is controlled in the interests of the Defender only.

It is arguable as to whether the agreement which Team New Zealand believe that Ernesto Bertarelli has breached, is actually subject to the jurisdiction of the Arbitration Panel, since it was made outside the Protocol and formal entry process. It related to an agreement to stage the 33rd America's Cup in 2009, and with penalties for delay into 2010 and 2011. That enabled Team NZ to plan ahead with some certainty.

Had Bertarelli not made that side agreement, then it is probable that Dalton would not have entered Team New Zealand in the event. The subsequent Media conference held by Bertarelli would have been a rather hollow affair indeed. Instead, Bertarelli was able to pull a major surprise and gained real credibility for his position. Later Dalton believed that Bertarelli had been inflexible and pedantic in his treatment of the issues between the Defender and Challengers, and that a small shift by Bertarelli would have been sufficent to resolve all outstanding issues, and allow the America's Cup to take place within the agreed timeframe.

The report in the Sunday Star Times, if accurate. only serves to underline the justification for BMW Oracle Racing and GGYC to have taken the action they have in the New York judicial system on the Protocol for the 33rd America's Cup.

Richard Gladwell
NZ Editor
RS Sailing 660x82Wildwind 2016 660x82North Technology - Southern Spars

Related Articles

Twice Whitbread Round the World Race skipper Digby Taylor dies
Digby Taylor who master-minded, built and skippered two Whitbread Round the World Racers has died of a heart attack. Digby Taylor who master-minded, built and skippered two Whitbread Round the World Race campaigns, has died of a heart attack. He was in his early 70's. Taylor was the leading force behind two Whitbread Round the World race campaigns.
Posted on 20 Apr
Gold Medalists Burling and Tuke named NZ Team of the Year
Peter Burling and Blair Tuke have won the Team of the Year Award at the 54th Halberg Awards Peter Burling and Blair Tuke have won the Team of the Year Award at the 54th Halberg Awards, held at Vector Arena in Auckland last night. Named after Olympic champion Sir Murray Halberg (ONZ) the Halberg Awards is the country's pre-eminent event to honour and celebrate New Zealand sporting excellence.
Posted on 10 Feb
470 class - Double Olympic medalist announces retirement
Polly Powrie, half of one of the most successful teams in New Zealand sailing history, has retired from Olympic yachting Polly Powrie, half of one of the most successful teams in New Zealand sailing history, has retired from Olympic yachting. Powrie and Jo Aleh, colloquially known as Team Jolly, first teamed up in the women’s 470 in 2009 and established an impressive record in their time together, winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics and backing that up with silver at last year's Rio Games.
Posted on 6 Jan
Sydney supermaxi sets monohull record in White Island Race
The Sydney based supermaxi CQS has set a new record for monohulls in the 320nm White Island Race. The Sydney based supermaxi CQS has set a new record for monohulls, but missed the allcomers record by less than an hour, in the 320nm White Island Race. After the race start just after 10.00am on Friday, CQS reported she was about to round White Island around 6.30pm having taken 8hrs 30 minutes for the 160nm leg or an average speed of around 19kts.
Posted on 26 Nov 2016
Images of radical supermaxi CQS sailing on the Waitemata
Ludde Ingvall’s revamped supermaxi, CQS, was trialling on the Waitemata Harbour today Ludde Ingvall’s revamped supermaxi, CQS, was trialling on the Waitemata Harbour today in a moderate south westerly breeze and sunshine - a welcome break from the strong winds that have plagued Auckland for the past few days. The supermaxi which started life as the 90ft Nicorette has been stretched to 98ft in a design project led by Bakewell-White Yacht Design
Posted on 18 Nov 2016
Gladwell's Line - Oh, and by the way we won a million dollars
Sailing history has been made by a New Zealand crew in winning the richest prize ever offered in sailing July 11, 2016 - Sailing history has been made by the New Zealand crew of Phil Robertson, Stu Dodson, Will Tiller and James Wierzbowski in winning the richest prize ever offered in sailing - $US1million (NZD $1.37m), with their nail-biting win in the World Match Racing Championships in Sweden.
Posted on 14 Jul 2016
Rio 2016 - Yachting New Zealand defends Olympic selection practices
Yachting New Zealand has responded to wide-spread international criticism of its selection practices Yachting New Zealand has responded to wide-spread international criticism of its selection practices and criticism by the Chairman of the NZ Sports Disputes Tribunal, Sir Bruce Robertson of the way it treated two Olympic sailors after they had qualified New Zealand for the 2016 Olympic sailing regatta at the ISAF World Sailing Championships in santander in September 2014.
Posted on 9 Jun 2016
America's Cup - Changes proposed to control future Cup options
Changes are being mooted to put the America's Cup on a longer-term footing according to the Daily Telegraph (UK) News that changes are being mooted to put the America's Cup on a longer-term footing is being floated in the Daily Telegraph (UK) by the British Challenger, Land Rover BAR. According to the Telegraph, some of the teams in the 2017 America's Cup are keen to lock-in parameters which would bind successive holders of the a style and frequency for the next America's Cup Match.
Posted on 8 Jun 2016
Gladwell's Line - Olympic Appeal over in NZ but hotting up in Oz
The 2016 New Zealand Olympic selection process came to an end on Monday night in Auckland The 2016 New Zealand Olympic selection process came to an end on Monday night in Auckland with the announcement at the end of a Mediation Hearing by the Chairman of the Sports Disputes Tribunal, Sir Bruce Robertson, that he would not overturn the two non-selection decisions by Yachting New Zealand.
Posted on 2 Jun 2016
Rio 2016 - Murdoch confirms that he won't Appeal tight selection call
Double Olympian Andrew Murdoch has confirmed that he will not Appeal the decision of the Yachting New Zealand selectors Double Olympian Andrew Murdoch has confirmed that he will not Appeal the decision of the Yachting New Zealand selectors who gave the nod for Rio 2016 to Josh Junior, who will be on his first Olympic regatta. 'I don't think I would get a result in my favour out of the back end of it,' Murdoch told Radio Sport. ït would also hinder Josh's preparation as well.'
Posted on 12 May 2016