Please select your home edition
Edition
Bakewell-White Yacht Design

Guo Chuan becomes first Chinese solo non-stop circumnavigator

by Xinhua on 6 Apr 2013
Guo Chuan - first Chinese solo non-stop circumnavigator - arrives home in Qingdao Xinhua - China Daily

China's Guo Chuan is celebrating with his world record in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province, April 5, 2013.

Guo sailed back home on Friday morning to become the first Chinese to successfully circumnavigate the globe singlehanded. Aboard his Class40 yacht, 48-year-old Guo travelled about 21,600 nautical miles in 138 days before he returned to his hometown of Qingdao, where he set off on November 18 last year.

Guo Chuan on Friday became the first sailor from China to complete a non-stop solo circumnavigation of the globe. Aboard a 40-foot (12.2 meters) monohull, the 48-year old returned to the northeastern port city of Qingdao, his home town, after a gruelling 138-day, 21,600-nautical-mile voyage.

Guo jumped into the sea for celebration before his yacht pulled over, and swam towards the dock to meet his wife and sons, who joined hundreds of local citizens and sports officials at a welcome ceremony. 'I am so happy that I can again see so many people, so many people who care about me,' said Guo, who knelt down as soon as he stepped on land with tears streaming down his cheeks.

'I can't even believe I made it. If this is real, I am the happiest man in the world. I don't have to eat those awful dehydrofrozen food any more, and I can sleep as long as I want while not worrying about winds and fishing nets. I don't have to wash my hair with seawater either. And instead I can enjoy a hot shower,' he added.

As Thursday was Ching Ming Festival (Grave-Sweeping Day), a traditional festival when Chinese mourn their deceased family members, Guo paid homage to his late father after his Odyssey-like adventure. 'I hope he can share the moment with me. He passed away two years ago when I was training in France. I wanted to rush home to see him the last time but I did not make it. I wish he could see me today. I think he would understand in the other world and feel happy about me,' said a sobbing Guo.

Guo had expected to finish the circumnavigation within 125 days but was forced to prolong his journey following a string of hard times on board, ranging from equipment failures, a fishing net barrage off the Chinese coast, a fast-moving tropical storm and falling into an area of no wind a few days after entering the southern hemisphere.

On New Year's Day, Guo climbed up the six-story-high mast to repair the sail. 'I think I should have done more sail-testing before setting off. This is a lesson,' Guo said. 'Another lesson I should learn is to bring more delicious food, because I don't want to be in semi-starvation any more during my next sailing adventure.'

Guo, whose childhood dream was becoming a scientist, was also philosophical in thanking the wind. 'I want to thank the wind for being my enemy as well as my friend. It is the wind that keeps me company all the time. It challenges me, but also brings me home,' he said.

After departing from Qingdao, Guo sailed south and east across the Pacific Ocean to Cape Horn in Chile, sailed into the Atlantic Ocean, then went into the Indian Ocean via the Cape of Good Hope at the southern tip of Africa before passing through the Sunda Strait in Indonesia to return to Qingdao.

Guo is the first and only professional offshore sailor in China. He is also the first Chinese to take part in the Clipper Round the World in 2006 and the Volvo Ocean Race as the media crew member on Green Dragon from 2008 to 2009. In 2011 he became the first Chinese to participate in the Mini Transat sailing event.

Ancasta Ker 33 660x82PredictWind.com 2014Protector - 660 x 82

Related Articles

Heerema delayed by Biscay lows, Groundhog Day for Destremau
With 16 boats now finished, eighth edition of the Vendée Globe becomes the race with greatest ever number of finishers. With 16 boats now finished, the eighth edition of the Vendée Globe becomes the race with greatest ever number of finishers. Until now it was the 2000-2001 edition, with 24 starters and 15 finishers, which saw the biggest number of starters reach the end of their race at the legendary South Nouch buoy.
Posted today at 10:24 am
Bella Mente Racing starts 2017 season with major victory at RORC C600
Bella Mente Racing starts 2017 season off with major victory at RORC Caribbean 600 Bella Mente Racing, led by owner/driver Hap Fauth, launched its 2017 campaign season with a major victory this week, winning IRC Overall, CSA Overall and CSA 1 at the RORC Caribbean 600 in Antigua; The team took home coveted RORC Caribbean 600 Trophy for the IRC win as well as the Bella Mente Trophy, the team’s namesake award, for being first IRC yacht to finish that is wholly manually powered.
Posted today at 4:54 am
Cool drone footage of Dongfeng Race Team on the water
Dongfeng is back in the water and training is well underway for the returning Chinese campaign. Dongfeng is back in the water and training is well underway for the returning Chinese campaign. Stunning drone footage of the re-fitted Volvo Ocean 65 has been released as the team hit the water off the coast of Lisbon.
Posted today at 3:52 am
49th Transpac early entry deadline approaches on March 1st
Planning for the 49th edition of the Los Angeles-Honolulu Transpacific Yacht Race is well underway Planning for the 49th edition of the Los Angeles-Honolulu Transpacific Yacht Race presented by the Los Angeles Times and organized by the Transpacific Yacht Club is well underway, with 52 monohull and multihull entries from nine nations already signed up for this biennial 2225-mile ocean race, one of the world's oldest having first been sailed in 1905.
Posted today at 3:36 am
18ft Skiffs - JJ Giltinan Trophy - Replay coverage - Race 1
Live coverage of Race 1 of the JJ Giltinan 18ft Skiffs from Sydney harbour - sailing in the wind and rain Replay of Race 1 of the JJ Giltinan 18ft Skiffs from Sydney harbour - sailing in the wind and rain
Posted today at 3:25 am
Hat-trick all around for Phaedo^3 in this year Caribbean 600
Lloyd Thornburg and crew of Phaedo^3 have gained not only line honours each time but also three wins in their class. Lloyd Thornburg and the crew of his MOD70 Phaedo^3 for the last three editions of the RORC Caribbean 600 have gained not only line honours each time but also three wins in their class.
Posted today at 3:16 am
Vendee Globe - Conrad Colman's thoughts on his incredible performance
Colman was the first boat in the history of the race to finish using only natural energy, no fossil fuels After finishing 16th in the Vendee Globe, crossing the finish line under the jury rig which had carried him the final 720 miles of his race since he was dismasted, Conrad Colman was greeted by a hero's welcome into Les Sables d'Olone. The first New Zealander to complete the race he was also the first boat in the history of the race to finish using only natural energy, no fossil fuels.
Posted on 24 Feb
More winners announced in RORC Caribbean 600
As dawn broke on day five, crews who had finished the race were beginning to arrive back in Antigua. At Dawn on the fifth day, the leading Class40s were approaching the finish. Throughout the race, the battle in the class had been intense, with three yachts taking the lead at various points along the course.
Posted on 24 Feb
Vendee Globe - Conrad Colman finishes under jury rig
Colman constructed and stepped a remarkable jury rig which has allowed him to sail the final 740 miles of 27,440nm race New Zealander Conrad Colman wrote a new chapter in the storied history of the Vendée Globe when he crossed the finish line of the eighth edition of the non stop solo round the world race under a makeshift jury rig.
Posted on 24 Feb
Vendée Globe – Romain Attanasio takes fifteenth place
French skipper Romain Attanasio, sailing Famille Mary-Etamine du Lys, took 15th place in the solo race around the world French skipper Romain Attanasio, sailing Famille Mary-Etamine du Lys, took 15th place in the non stop solo race around the world this morning (Friday 24th February) when he crossed the finish line at 1006hrs UTC.
Posted on 24 Feb