If you put off cleaning your boat, you are inviting expensive trouble, but cleaning can be such a chore. Here are ten quick common sense tips from www.shurhold.com!Shurhold to make your cleaning go faster and be more effective.
Big job ahead...
1. Regular preventive maintenance saves time, money and headaches. Once dirt and grime are allowed to accumulate, getting rid of the filth and grease becomes discouragingly hard. A little discipline and the right products go a long way to developing a good cleaning routine.
2. Saltwater is particularly rough on boat surfaces, causing rust and corrosion. If you have the water supply, a wash-down on a regular basis will keep salt crystals at bay
3. To rid the boat of initial crystals, there's no need for an expensive solution. Good old soap and water attack and eliminate salt crystals.
4. Pay special attention to out-of-the-way places such as around connectors for electronics, wiring and metallic moving parts. Trailers are often overlooked. Saltwater dripping from the hull that accumulates in crevices can be washed away with soapy water.
5. Freshwater has its share of problems, too. Tannic acid, dissolved lime compounds and manmade pollutants can discolor any finish and harm metals, so don't leave fresh water lying in pools at the end of a wash.
6. Don't ignore the stubborn rust stains. These and accretions of calcium precipitates are hard to remove from hulls, particularly along the waterline or inside compartments where stagnant water has collected. The easiest way to approach these tough stains is early and often.
7. When trying any chemical cleaner for the first time, follow directions carefully and test it somewhere it won't be seen.
8. With the right cleaning solution, procedures and equipment, a thorough washdown at the end of the day takes only a few minutes and pays off handsomely.
9. Put some of your favourite music on while you clean. This makes the time go more easily.
10. Always give yourself a reward to look forward to after the clean - or maybe during. Whether it's chocolate, icecream or a cold beer, you'll look forward to your next clean instead of dreading it.
Dedicated to educating boat owners, Shurhold, makers of Brite Wash, and who provided these quick tips, also provides key tips for boat value preservation at www.shurhold.com.