by Adam Werblow
St. Mary's Womens Intersectional Regatta 2013. Breeze came from the E, NE, S, SW with periods of solid pressure followed by glass often relating to flashes of sun and rain. Competitors were appreciative of the tremendous job trying to keep the courses square by PRO Justin Law and markset Chris Brady. Five races were sailed in A division (420's) while only four were sailed in B (FJ's). Courses were Windard Two-Fleet (WTF) and Windward Two Fleet Finish to Windward (WTF-FTW). At the suggestion of ICSA rep Mike O'Connor, the upwind finish course will be simplified for clarity on Sunday as the WIndward Two Fleet-Finish Upwind (WTF-FU).
While most everyone felt badly for the University of Hawaii sailors having to endure the chilly temps and Northerly breezes along with some wintry mix, the Wahine were good sports and actually seemed excited to experience sailing in the snow. The breeze shifted back and forth between NE and N with occasional shots of NW to keep the RC and sailors both on their toes.
The divisional boat switch happened with the start of Sunday. A total of 13 races were completed in both divisions.
Thanks to Phelps Cotton Kelley and Melissa Pumphrey for serving as on the water umpires and hearing one protest resulting in one disqualification and hearing a request for redress that was denied.
St. Mary's Womens Intersectional Regatta Standings
1. Boston College Eagles (131 pts)
2. Georgetown University Hoyas (171 pts)
3. St. Mary's College of Maryland Seahawks (190 pts)
4. Yale University Bulldogs (185 pts)
5. Cornell University Big Red (202 pts)
6. Bowdoin College Polar Bears (212 pts)
7. College of Charleston Cougars (222 pts)
8. Eckerd College Tritons (227 pts)
9. University of Hawaii Rainbows (228 pts)
10.Tufts University Jumbos (229 pts)
11. U. S. Naval Academy Midshipmen (243 pts)
12. Hobart and William Smith Colleges Statesman (247 pts)
13. University of Rhode Island Rams (257pts)
14. Connecticut College Camels (270 pts)
15. Old Dominion University Monarchs (272 pts)
16.Harvard University Crimson (284 pts)
17. Villanova University Wildcats (419 pts)
St Marys Intersectional Regatta 2013