by Alan Good
Waterproof charts made from stone? You must be kidding!
But the environmentally conscious world is forever searching for sustainable ways to produce the products we need.
Here is another example of how to 'save the trees' and produce an amazing new, seawater resistant paper ideal for many uses for the leisure sailor.
It's called Rockstock.
Here's what the manufacturers have to say about their paper:
Rockstock made from waste stone from the building industry is ground down to Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) used also in toothpaste, Tofu, antacid and baby powder, combined with a small amout of Non Toxic PE resin is used to make a waterproof paper that is the most environmentally effective paper ever made. This paper is ideal for recording rigging and sail checks in wet weather or wet environments.
Rockstock has superior printing values and is available in most sizes and weights of traditional, wood fibre papers. It is also:
* Strong and tear resistant - perfect for books, carry bags and uses where strength is an advantage.
* Won't crack or white line on folds - suitable for maps, marine charts and brochures.
* Waterproof - great for maps, outdoor displays, golf score cards, envelopes, pads etc.
* Freezer Grade-Durable under very low temperatures - excellent for freezer food packaging and sub zero conditions.
* Moth and insect proof.
* Food grade - for food storage and packaging.(FDA approved)
It can be used in most situations where conventional and synthetic paper is used and offers exceptional printing, water proofing and tear resistant qualities. Rockstock claims to be the world's most environmentally friendly paper.
* It is manufactured from ground down waste stone and offcuts used in the building industry. It contains no wood fibre.
* Rockstock has a low carbon emission
* It uses significantly less energy to produce than wood fibre paper.
* It generates no effluent in its manufacture.
* It requires no water, acid, base or bleach during production.
* Any trimmings or waste paper from production is recycled to make new paper.
* It is both recyclable and photo-degradable.
Sometimes confused with synthetic paper, Rockstock is neither synthetic nor pulp or fibre based and is termed 'Rich Mineral Paper'. Rockstock has qualities of both pulp and synthetic papers, but more importantly it is much more environmentaly friendly than either of the two. The printing qualities and exclusive feel make Rockstock a paper product not seen the likes of previously.
Due to its absorbency attributes, it has superior handling and printing qualities.
It is also water, mist, grease, anti-moth and insect proof*, freezer grade, and can be heat sealed and is available in weights ranging from 80gsm through 600gsm in a wide range of options.
Rockstock can also be be recycled with No 2 plastics as Calcium Carbonate is used as a filler in plastics.
Although Fire retardent, Rockstock will just burn with a small flame and without toxic smoke.
Rockstock has a number of unique environmental attributes:
* It has a low CO2 emission profile
* It beneficially reuses a waste stream.
* It's manufacture does not pollute waterways and rivers with toxic effluent
* It's manufacture uses relatively little energy.
It is estimated that the production of 1 ton of RMP means:
* Low carbon emission
* 7480 gallons of fresh water saved
* reduction of CO2 release
* 19.05 Kg water borne waste not produced
* 107.05 Kg atmospheric emissions eliminated
* 6 million BTU's energy not consumed
For more information about this potentially amazing new product, go to the www.stonepaper.co.nz!website