The Volvo Noble Marine UK Nationals for the RS400 Class will start on Sunday 24th August at Mounts Bay Sailing Club in Cornwall. Given that Mounts Bay is a firm favourite amongst the 400s, it’s appropriate that we will be going to this fantastic location for our 20th birthday champs.
The Class Association have been working hard to ensure everyone has a brilliant week both on and off the water. Entertainments include the customary sunset drinks reception on St Michael’s Mount, a very grown up winetasting visit to local vineyard Polgoon, and a 1994 themed championship party on the last night. With camping at Farmer Browns field just a short stagger from the sailing club it really is a back-to-basics week. Local brewery Penzance brewing have concocted a special 'Awesome Anniversary Ale ' which will be on tap in the club all week and should help to lubricate the social programme. Part of the amazing Volvo sponsorship package includes two giveaway British Sailing Volvo cars fuelled up and delivered to your doorstep - so Bruce Woodcock and Fiona Mayo will be arriving in style. We are also delighted to have Noble Marine as a joint title sponsor with Volvo, and Harken are supporting the event with their 'pit lane' so you can pimp your boat.
There will also be sailing, and we will have daily seminars from the top sailors covering topics such as boat set-up, gate starts, crewing and rules. So far we have 70 boats pre-entered and competition will as always be very close. The championship hopefuls include :-
- Nick Craig and Tobytastic Lewis – Nick’s recent dominance of the class is well documented however we hope he won’t get it all his own way this year. A secret rota has been agreed to take Toby out each evening to a different Cornish nightclub. Has been known to shout.
- Roger and James Gilbert-Stewart – a very welcome return to the class for Mr and Mrs Stewart. This team won every champs from 2000-2004 before Roj moved onto the RS200, Merlin and 14 – which he also dominated. Frensham pondish like Nick – but without the glasses. Likes to think a lot.
- Jon Gorringe and Nikki Bass – another 400 stalwart who has returned this year, fresh back from winning the Eurocup in Lake Garda. Sails the Merlin with Toby so knows all his weak spots (not that there are many). Watch out if he’s wearing his train driver hat.
- Jon Heissig and Nikki Griffin – the second Jon / Nikki team. Multiple RS700 champ already figured out how to make the 400 go fast.
- Mark and Paul Oakey – the lightwind maestros – and recent form indicates no lack of pace in the breeze.
- Jim Downer and Jon Price – always at or near the front of the 400 fleet. Annoyingly both are able to also perform in the bar whilst returning great results.
- Mike Sims and Richard Brown – featuring a brand new boat. Mike was third in '09 before moving onto the solo. Having realised the error of his ways he’s back – with supercrew Brown at the pointy end. Both Northern.
- Howie Farbrother and Desperate Dan – the world’s tallest crew and the world’s pinkest kite. Go figure. Runner up last year. Don’t try to cross him on port.
- Paul Hilliar and Sam Parker – Paul won it in '07 and has spent every summer since scouting out the Mounts Bay tides and windshifts in his daughter's Mirror. Rumour has it he has it all in a huge computer programme. Will be back on the pace.
- Josh Metcalfe and Elaine Watkins – team Wales. Josh is currently leading the UK Champs Tour and is the only guy to have beaten Nick this year. With supercrew Watkins out of retirement who knows what this pair will deliver. Appears indestructible in the bar.
So we’re all set for an Awesome Anniversary champs. It’s not too late to enter and we have charter boats available so please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to join the fun!!