Predictwinds routing function gives you the same capability as Volvo Ocean Race routing systems
Whether you are racing, cruising or doing delivery, with PredictWind’s Weather Routing tool, working out the fastest or most comfortable passage has never been easier.
We give you a three step navigation explanation with diagrams - and you are ready to go to plot your favorite cruising route, avoiding rough seas and high winds, or try being a Volvo Ocean Race navigator
What can take hours to do manually happens with the click of a button on PredictWind.
Simply place your start and finish points on the map, and select the start time for your passage.
Then, using the selected forecast model, the tool will work out the best path to your destination. Any passage spans across changing weather patterns, swell conditions and currents, and the tool quickly calculates the optimal route for you.
The boat polars allow you to tailor the routing to your specific boat, then you can either choose a route that is optimised for speed or comfort.
Standard and Professional accounts include land avoidance which can be very useful when sailing coastal passages.
Weather Routing in the Professional account also includes ocean and tidal currents which can have a significant effect on routing. You can also receive weather routes via email by sending your current and destination location to PredictWind’s server. This option is great for offshore data use as it is the most economical way (even compared to grib files) to receive routing information.
Weather Routing is a great tool that every sailor should find simple to use and effective in helping find the most suitable route for their next voyage.
Try it out today at www.PredictWind.com
Here's how to do a weather route using PredictWind
1. Chose the start and finish points, either by setting markers, or using specific Lat and Long from a GPS
1. Initial-settings - set your start point (green marker) and your end of trip marker (brown marker). Set the correct time or use "Now" to use the current time. (You can also enter the start finish co-ordinates (from your on-board GPS) in the boxes to get more precise start and end point positioning - PredictWind Routing module
2. Tweak the Preferences for your boat - this is a one off change for your boat and PredictWind will retain your settings
2. Advanced-settings - Set other preferences for your boat - chose the boat polar from the drop-down list or select one that is close and then adjust using the Polar Speed adjustment. Select at the top whether you want a performance or cruising course option. If selecting the latter you can key in wind and wave parameters to give a comfortable ride. If Performance routing is used Predictwind will chose the course which will get your boat to its destination in the fastest possible time, sailing at the fastest wind angles - PredictWind Routing module
3. Here is the graphical output - check it looks right, or you haven't made an error in the start or finish position
3. Your optimum course is shown as a graphic - which is a good sanity check. You may care to make some adjustments to your preferences if it doesn’t look right - PredictWind Routing module
4. Here is the detailed routing instructions with the time for the course changes
4. The times and courses to be sailed are listed in the resuklts table which is on the bottom of the graphic - this shows a variety of parameters including average wind speed, expected boat speed wind angles and headings etc - PredictWind Routing module
5. Another sanity check the wind speed and direction in graphical format
5. The wind speed and direction can also be shown in a gaphical presentation if preferred - PredictWind Routing module
Here is the link to the Predictwind's more detailed routing instructions.
Now click here to run a route for your boat to her favorite destination