Ontario Sailing has reached out to Non-Member Clubs in an attempt to have them join the Sailing Community as a member of Ontario Sailing and Sail Canada (formerly CYA). Non-member clubs that have racing programs and/or have members traveling to races need to know that the Canadian Prescriptions in the newest Racing Rules of Sailing 2013-2016 have changed.
Ontario Sailing logo
'Rule 46 – Person in Charge'
Sail Canada prescribes that the designated person in charge, if resident in Canada, shall be a member of a club affiliated with Sail Canada.
What this simply means is that unless the person in charge of the vessel is a member of a member club of Sail Canada (you are automatically a member when you join Ontario Sailing), you do not have the right to race, the host club will not allow you to sail, and if you do get into a race, you can be protested under the rules. You should be aware that one of the many benefits of membership is the right to the Appeals process if you are protested and you do not agree with the findings.
This also goes for those that are members of class associations. Class associations are not member clubs and membership in them does not give you the right to race.
Ontario Sailing & Sail Canada believe that once you see all the other benefits of membership and know that you support the greater sailing fraternity nationally and internationally, you will want to take up membership. 'Racing a sailboat is a privilege, not a right.' As the organization responsible for sailing in Ontario, Ontario Sailing is committed to supporting our clubs, our collective membership, and the rights they have not only under the Racing Rules of Sailing but also in the greater community of sailing.
Member benefits are critical to your club and its members! Ontario Sailing and Sail Canada are only a call away to help you with professional support, best practices and ongoing individual membership support. Benefits include:
• Right to Race
• Right to run Sail training under the CANSail, Cruising and Powerboat systems of Sail Canada
• Right to help with training of instructors, coaches, race officials, judges, umpires and regatta safety personnel
• Tax receipting (some conditions apply)
• Low cost loans for club improvements from Infrastructure Ontario
• Club Insurance programs many of which will see the costs benefits cover your yearly membership fees
• Individual Insurance programs
• Best practices and guidance including the New 'Shells and Sails' Club Asset Tool
• Purchase programs from Dell Computers, Marks, and a host of other companies
• Low cost loans for boat purchases using Sail Canada programs
• Hosting of regattas sanctioned by Ontario Sailing & Sail Canada
• Ontario Sailing, Sail Canada and Province of Ontario awards programs
• Hosting of Ontario Sailing Mobile School
• Hosting of the Shells and Sails Mobile 'try it trailer'
• Support at the Toronto Boat Show, website presence and use of Ontario Sailing for your events
• Participation in Ontario Sailing's newly launched 'Get into Sailing' campaign
You can visit Ontario Sailing to view under 'Members and Services' all the member organizations and other member benefits.
Ontario Sailing and Sail Canada understand that in many cases clubs that are not members of Ontario Sailing/Sail Canada may have been missed by our collective organizations to have you join. Ontario Sailing is hoping to immediately correct this.
The Non-Member Clubs that have been approached directly are:
|Bala Sailing Club, Lake Muskoka||Balsam Lake Sailing Club||Belwood Lake Sailing Club|
|Burlington Beach Catamaran Club||Chats Lake Yacht Club (Ottawa River)||Fairport Yacht Club (Pickering area)|
|Georgian Yacht Club (Georgian Bay)||Hawkstone Yacht Club (Barrie)||Kanagio Yacht Club|
|Kempenfelt Bay Yacht Club (Barrie)||Leamington Yacht Club (mainly power on Lake Erie)||Macassa Bay Yacht Club (Hamilton)|
|North Bay Yacht Club||The North Channel Yacht Club||Peterborough Sailing Club|
|Pigeon Lake Yacht Club (Bobcaygeon)||Port Hope Yacht Club||Presqu'ile Yacht Club|
|Thames River Yacht Club||Wildwood Sailing Club (St. Mary’s)||Windsor Yacht Club|
To view a copy of the letter sent to these Clubs, please click here.
Please contact Glenn Lethbridge, Executive Director of Ontario Sailing, at firstname.lastname@example.org or give him a call at 1-888-672-7245 ext. 224 for more information or to have him come out to your Club and speak on what Ontario Sailing can do for you! He will discuss with you the costs of membership and the direct benefits for your Club and its membership.