sail-world.com -- America's Cup: 'We have been fed a fatty diet of spin doctoring'
America's Cup: 'We have been fed a fatty diet of spin doctoring'
Mon, 23 Jan 2012
Emirates Team NZ's coach Rod Davis muses on the times we live in …..
It has been a bizarre time for the America’s Cup; the war of words and press releases has been nonstop for five years when Oracle questioned Alinghi’s Challenger of Record. Since then we have been fed a fatty diet of spin doctoring.
Some would say 'situation normal for the America’s Cup'. Not in my experience and I have been in the game a long time. Take the headline 'Ainsle launches America’s Cup campaign'. What?
Uncle Larry is underwriting Ben’s AC45 sailing and then he joins Oracle in the defence for the USA. Where is the Ben Ansile America’s Cup campaign in that? Or the nine challengers listed in the America’s Cup web site, when, in reality only three have paid the money. The trick is to not allow the spin doctors to distract you from the real game.
When you blow away the smoke and see through the mirrors you find the America’s Cup as it is:
Here’s what you need to know:
1) The America’s Cup will be sailed in San Francisco in 2013 in 72ft winged cats.
2) Each team will have the most advanced and competitive boat that it can produce and then sail it the very best it can.
3) The challengers (Artemis, Luna Rosa, and Emirates Team New Zealand) will compete in a Louis Vuitton Cup challenger series to decide who goes to the America’s Cup.
4) Oracle goes directly to the finals (the America’s Cup match).
5) Each team is allowed to build two AC72 boats; the first cannot be launched before July this year.
Point No 2 is the most important and the one must be done better than all the competition. Everything else is detail.
Onesails.com - Workforce
OneSails is the culmination of over 35 years of experience accumulated by our team in design and technology applied to sail-making. [More info]
GME Standard Communications Pty Ltd
Leaders in communications and navigation. Their goal has always been to make products whose innovation, convenience and peace of mind can help improve the lives of their customers. [More info]
Vicsail Sydney Pty Ltd, launched into the Australian sailing fraternity in 1983 and has been sailing strong ever since. At Vicsail, “We Sail the Boats We Sell”. [More info]