The Neptune Regatta celebrated extending the event’s title sponsor, Mount Gay Rum, for an additional three years by throwing a Notice of Race Party for the 2013 Mount Gay Rum Neptune Regatta in Singapore.
Waiting for the ferry. Mount Gay Rum 2012 Neptune Regatta.
The NOR Party was hosted by Nueva Cuba Bar & Restaurant overlooking the Marina Bay in Singapore. Over 150 guests, predominately from the Singapore sailing scene, were welcomed with a ‘Neptune Island Sundowner’ Cocktail, famously served to participants racing to ‘Zero’ on Neptune Island Beach last February, 8 miles north of the equator in the Riau Archipelago, Indonesia. Party Goers enjoyed free-flow Mount Gay Rum cocktails from the purpose-built Mount Gay Rum Beach Hut that washed down Cuban Tapas prepared by the Nueva Cuba Head Chef.
Some prominent sailing guests included,
• The 2011 Line Honours for first across the equator, skipper/owner of Windsikher, Sarab Jeet Singh
• The first ever IRC winner of the Neptune Regatta, Stewart McLaren who skippered Men at Work
• 2011 Cruising Class winner and skipper/owner of Rainbow Dream, Simon Piff
• The 2012 Line-Honours and IRC winning yacht KukuKERchu represented by crewmember and daughter of the owner, Mairéad Ross
• The 2012 overall Multihull Class winner Alice Lim, skipper/owner of The Dash
• The 2012 Cruising Class Winner Glen O’Grady, skipper/owner of O’BluEyes
• The 2012 Rolex China Sea Race Overall Winner, Jono Mahoney, skipper/owner of Zanzibar
• Peter Pela, wner of the Royal Albatross, the 4-masted Tall Ship which will be participating in the 2013 edition of the regatta.
Party guests also included a number of skippers and owners looking forward to participating in the 2013 Mount Gay Rum Neptune Regatta for the first time, with Stuart Birkbeck, skipper/owner of Tri To Fly, registering on the night.
The party showed slideshows of previous equator crossings, and bottles of Mount Gay ‘Extra Old’ Rum were awarded as prizes for the party games.
The event was hosted by Remy Cointreau’s Brand Manger for Mount Gay Rum Asia Pacific, Laurent Soulat, along with Neptune Organisers, Tudor John and Alex ‘Ferret’ Voss.