by Jeni Bone
Mackay Marina – a world-class 500-berth facility at the tail end of The Whitsundays – has just snared the prestigious and internationally significant Oyster World Rally 2013-14.
Mackay Marina - the Oyster fleet’s first port of entry to Australia in 2013.
As many as 30 yacht owners will enter Australia at Mackay after cruising from Europe through the South Pacific.
Conceived as an event to celebrate Oyster’s 40th Anniversary, the 2013 Oyster World Rally will set out from Antigua in January 2013 and return to the Caribbean in April 2014 and for owners, is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to complete a circumnavigation as a large fleet.
'Oyster representatives were here two weeks ago inspecting our facilities, which include a 65 tonne travel lift with 9.2m beam so we can lift catamarans as well, skilled labour, fuel and plenty of on-shore recreation,' says Ben Anderson, Manager, who has been at the marina for around nine years.
The delegation was impressed with Mackay's facilities and infrastructure, both in terms of yachting and things to do in the region.
Mackay is a 'boom town', says Ben, 'mostly a spin off from the mining activity nearby'. 'We have a wonderful hinterland just an hour from the city, incredible islands just offshore, like Brampton, Keswick and Hamilton not too far away.'
Ben Anderson Mackay Marina
'Mackay will be their first point of entry in to Australia. We have Customs and Quarantine on site and they are experienced in handling yachts and crews, from the ARC, Blue Water Rally and other regattas.'
One of Australia's Top 10 marinas, Mackay Marina Village is a Marina, Shipyard, residential and tourism precinct developed, owned and operated by Port Binnli Pty Ltd.
The precinct includes:
• 479 berth Marina designed for vessels with a 3.5 metre draft at LAT, some available for sale
• Residential village of luxury apartments and townhouses. Some units are still available in Captains Corner, the newest apartment complex at the Marina.
• State-of-the-art boat maintenance and repair facility, Mackay Marina Shipyard
• Commercial precinct of restaurants and shops plus a thriving Yacht Club
• Luxury four and a half star hotel, the Clarion Hotel Mackay Marina
More at www.mackaymarina.com