Lexus of Hobart King of the Derwent 2013 – Galeforce westerly winds, gusting 61 knots this morning, have forced the Derwent Sailing Squadron to cancel the race.
DSC 0184 - Lexus of Hobart King of the Derwent 2013
This is the first time in 30 years that the iconic race on Hobart’s River Derwent has been abandoned. Over those years some of the most famous ocean racing yachts from throughout Australia and overseas have contested the event following the ocean races from Sydney, Melbourne and Launceston.
Race officers made the decision after monitoring the wind strengths throughout the morning and obtaining advice from the Bureau of Meteorology.
The Bureau recorded a maximum gust of 61 knots in Hobart at 9.00 a.m. Minutes before deciding to abandon the King of the Derwent at 12 noon, a gust of 47 knots was recorded on the DSS’ marina.
'Present and projected wind strengths are considered too high to start the Lexus of Hobart King of the Derwent today, taking into considering the safety of competing yachts, spectator craft and support boats,' Commodore Ron Bugg said in announcing that the race had been abandoned.
'Many of the entered yachts had suffered hard races from Sydney, Hobart and Launceston, with their sails only just, or still being repaired,' he added.
'With visiting boats needing to be in good state for their voyages home, they certainly did not want to suffer further damage.'
Commodore Bugg said it was not feasible to conduct the Lexus of Hobart King of the Derwent tomorrow or on Saturday. In any case, the forecast for those days was still for strong winds on the Derwent.
Event website: click here