Groupama Race 2014 - The departure of the fourth sailing tour of New Caledonia will be given on October 19, 2014.
Groupama Race 2014
The Groupama Race is the longest leeward-windward race in the world: New-Caledonia is oriented in the direction of the Southeast trade winds. This means that in 'normal' wind conditions (Southeast trade winds), the competitors will have 300 NM downwind (under spinnaker) and 300 NM into the wind (being shaken around).
New Caledonia, conveniently close by Australia and New Zealand, offers one of the most consistence beautiful sailing conditions in the South Pacific.
The Groupama Race is a race in paradise!
Attractions of the Groupama Race
Everything is there to make this competition a classic offshore race:
• 600 miles windward and leeward race
• A race which is both offshore and coastal
• Two favourite sailing directions, downwind and into the wind: a veritable giant Olympic course
• Exceptional beauty, the course goes along the reefs and in a lagoon which is registered on the UNESCO World Heritage List
• Favorable weather conditions : warm water & trade winds
• A region where you find the best sailors in the world (proximity to Australia and New Zealand make it possible to have top level teams participating)
• Local sailors who are seasoned and motivated
• Franck Cammas, one of the actual best sailors in the world is the godfather of this event
• … and if the Sydney-Hobart has his Bass Strait, the Groupama Race has his mythic Grand Passage where you will surf on big waves and encounter a rich wildlife.
If you are ready to come and race in paradise, please complete your expression of interest and read the Notice of race.
All international boat will be host at the Cercle Nautique Calédonien. The Noumea Yacht Club offers Marina berth to all of you. Please contact us for more information.
Bon vent and see you soon
The Groupama Race Team
groupamarace 2014 promo v11 v3 flat A3 validation - Groupama Race