by Liz Rushall
A Class Rater at Glyn Charles Pursuit Race
You can enter on-line now for The Glyn Charles Memorial Pursuit Race! The race will be held on Saturday 26 April, at Hayling Island Sailing Club. On-line entry at www.hisc.co.uk - Registrations will also be taken at HISC from 09.00 on the day of the event, with the first start at 14.00.
Competitors will be racing for the hand-blown glass United Airlines Trophy, designed by Emma Amin, and the chance to win a fantastic Neilson Beachplus Club Holiday for two people worth £2000, at the Neilson Aeolian Village on the beautiful island of Lesvos, in Greece's northern Aegean Sea.
This year, the 10th year since Glyn was lost in the 1998 Sydney Hobart Race, a stunning array of prizes have been generously pledged from across the sport. Prizes will be spread across all the classes and from the back of the fleet to the front, together with the Indulgence Trophy, Gales Ales Trophy and the Dubarry boot Trophy.
All the money raised from the Race is donated to the John Merricks Sailing Trust, so bring your dinghy for a couple of hours of fun and the chance to win some of these fantastic prizes! Thanks to all the race sponsors for:
• An all expenses paid trip, for up to 2 crew, to race on board Graham Walker’s classic yacht 'Rowdy', a 1916 Herreshoff, at the Regate Royale at Cannes in September
• A Laser 1 mainsail by LaserPerformance
• A day with the TV production crew of Sunset + Vine/APP at a choice of a major British sporting event, including The Grand National, The Derby, Royal Ascot or a UEFA Cup football match
• The Daily Sail Top Foiler prize - £50 cash prize to the first foiling Moth or foiling RS600, + a cheque for £200 presented by Daily Sail, on behalf of the winner, to the John Merricks Sailing Trust
• Family weekend at SailLaser, by LaserPerformance
• Over £400 of RYA books and vouchers
• £200 Voucher for Dubarry Marine Collection footwear, clothing or accessories
• £600 of clothing vouchers by Gill
• The infamous pair of Scott ski’s for last finisher (try another sport prize)
• And many other fabulous prizes from; Dee Caffari, Future Fibres,Vovlo Ocean race, Musto, Tacktick, Henri Lloyd, Rick Tomlinson Photography,Dinghy Sailing, Seahorse, Lewmar, Yachts & yachting, Sail for Gold, Holt, Yachting World amongst many more.
The annual Pursuit Race attracts entries from all over the UK, and has attracted some international entries. Adrian Stead will be entering the Italian Farr 40 ‘Mascalzone Latino’, although he predicts they might be late for the start, being a long sail from the Mediterranean to Chichester Harbour! However, their generous entry fee will go towards the JMST.
The Glyn Charles event on Saturday 26 April is open to all dinghies and small racing keelboats with a PY below 1432 (Cadet). Unfortunately, multihulls cannot be permitted due to restrictions on their racing within Chichester Harbour. The following keelboats are acceptable. Flying 15, RS K6, RS Elite, X boat, Swallow, Sunbeam, Hawk, Star, Yngling (others please check with the HISC office).
Merlin Rocket sailors have an Open Meeting at HISC on the Sunday following the Glyn Charles and RS sailors might like to note that the following weekend (3 to 5 May) is their RS Anniversary All Fleets Regatta at HISC, so get down to Hayling early and take part in a great warm-up event.
To donate prizes or sponsorship please contact:
Liz Rushall - firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1243 372547
Glyn Charles Entry and News Event website: http://www.hisc.co.uk/entry_gc/gcnews_page.htm