For the first day of the Gazprom International European Dragon Championship, overcast skies, well formed seas and steady wind from the east - northeast between 18 and 20 knots were on offer in Sanremo. The event is organised by the Yacht Club Sanremo in collaboration with the International Dragon Association and the Italian Sailing Federation and with the partnership of Gazprom International and BMW.
Gazprom International European Dragon Championship 2014
84 crews from 23 nations left the Yacht Club Sanremo dock this morning to face each other in the single race of the day which started at 11:30 . The race was held on a windward-leeward course : the crews of Sophie (Switzerland) and Alfie (Great Britain ) initially retained command of the fleet for most of the race, but lost ground on the last beat to the Finnish crew aboard Lisa.
Overall ranking after the first day of the regatta:
1. Lisa (Finland ): Jouko Lindgren , Tuomas Tenkanen and Calle Lindfors
2. Sophie (Switzerland): Pedro Andrade , Martin Westerdahl and Diogo Cayolla
3. Debutant (Denmark): Lars Hendriksen , Kleen Frithjof and Anders Bagger
4. Sinewave (Germany): Thomas Muller, Vincent Hoesch and Michael Lipp
5. Tergeste (Italy): Nando Colaninno , Guido Antar Vigna and Mauro Grandone
The Gazprom International European Dragon Championship continues until Saturday 29 March with a total of seven races planned and no more than two being sailed per day .
The 23 countries represented are : Antigua , Australia, Austria , Denmark, the United Arab Emirates, Estonia, Finland , France, Germany, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, United States , Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine and Hungary.
Lisa - Gazprom International European Dragon Championship 2014
Event website: click here