Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week NOR released, new classes named
by Cowes Week Limited on 5 Feb 2013
Cowes Week Limited have now released the Notice of Regatta for Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week 2013, the world’s best-known sailing regatta, taking place 3 – 10 August. Entry fees have been maintained at 2012 levels with no increase, and event organisers have also introduced a range of welcome cost savings for early entrants. On-the-water highlights include the return of the Big Boat series, some new classes for popular one-design fleets and a brand new race format for cruiser racers on the final Saturday.
Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week 2012 Cowes Week http://www.cowesweek.co.uk
Following feedback from many cruiser owners, a single day of fun and relaxed racing has been introduced on the final Saturday of the regatta (10 August) for boats rated under the Island Sailing Club Rating System (ISCRS). The day’s racing will cost just £30 and will take place over a relatively short course with a late morning start. The aim is to enable cruisers to experience the fun of Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week within a very simple race format. Any cruisers wanting more than one day of more relaxed racing with like-minded skippers can join the ISCRS class on whichever days during the Week are convenient to them.
At the end of last year, CWL and Sportsboat World announced an exciting new Grand Slam event for the SB20 class which will form an integral part of Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week this year. Boats will compete in two races a day over the first four days of the regatta with traditional Cowes Week racing for the rest of the week.
Two new J/Boat classes have been introduced to this year’s regatta. The rapidly growing J/70 fleet will have its own start this year and will follow a similar race format to the SB20s with two races a day for the first four days. There will also be a dedicated class for the increasing number of J/111s coming to Cowes, allowing these exciting 36ft performance boats to enjoy some close one-design racing during the Week.
The biggest and fastest boats arriving in Cowes to take part in the Rolex Fastnet Race will once again enjoy a special three-day series of racing from 6-8 August. The ‘Big Boat Series’ is aimed at boats holding a valid IRC certificate with a TCC of more than 1.400 and with an LOA of between 18.2m and 30.5m. Boats outside these parameters may also be considered at the discretion of CWL. Racing is likely to include a race around the Island, a 40 mile passage race, and a race around the Solent marks.
90 years ago, the Solent Sunbeams made their debut at Cowes Week and have competed at the regatta ever since. The popularity of the Westmacott-designed Solent Sunbeam continues amongst discerning yachtsmen and women, and the fleet has grown steadily with the addition of six new GRP hulled boats in the last three years, racing on level terms with the original wooden ones.
This year, the Class celebrates its successful history with a busy racing and regatta program in Chichester Harbour and around the Solent, and a mid-summer Anniversary Ball beside the Harbour for 300 past and present Sunbeamers.
There are also a number of incentives to encourage early entry to Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week:
- An early-bird discount applies to all entries received before Monday 27th May and there is once again no increase to entry fees.
- Discounts on berthing at Shepards Wharf Marina and East Cowes Marina for bookings made before Monday 27thMay. In addition, Cowes Yacht Haven is offering a 10% discount to the first 25 boats registered to berth with them.
- A 10% discount for competitors on Red Funnel vehicle crossings from Southampton during the period 1 – 13 August (for bookings made before the end of April).
- A newly introduced discount with many of the property owners in Cowes for bookings taken before the end of April through the accommodation agencies of Quay Management, Regattalets, and A Base Ashore.
- In addition, as a new initiative for 2013 regular entrants to Cowes Week are able to earn a 20% discount on their entry fee, if they’re successful in attracting newcomers to the event. Terms and conditions apply.
The Notice of Regatta is now available for download here.
http://www.aamcowesweek.co.uk/" target="_blank">AAM Cowes Week website
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/106277