sail-world.com -- Kirby files to cancel Laser Trademark and Sunburst Logo for Boats
Kirby files to cancel Laser Trademark and Sunburst Logo for Boats
Sat, 11 May 2013
Bruce Kirby Inc. today filed the below petition to cancel US trademark registrations directed to both the word LASER and the Sunburst logo for boats. According to US Trademark Office records, these US registrations are owned by Karaya (Jersey) Limited based in St. Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands. Grounds for the petitions are abandonment and failure to exercise control over the goods made and sold under the marks.
Some history .. in March 2013, Bruce Kirby, Inc. filed a complaint in the U.S. Federal Court District of Connecticut, alleging unlawful counterfeiting of the Kirby dinghy by LaserPerformance principal Farzad Rastegar acting with and through LaserPerformance and its associated entities. The case also named the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) and the International Laser Class Association (ILCA) alleging they assisted LaserPerformance by continuing to supply ISAF plaques to the builder, after Kirby had given them formal notice to stop.
ISAF and ILCA defended their position, explaining that they have been acting to protect European and US supply of the boats, as LPE, the notional owner of the Laser trademark in Europe and the USA, had threatened legal action if another company began selling Laser branded boats in those markets.
However there now appears to be significant grounds for doubt on the ownership of the Laser trademarks and the iconic Sunburst logo.
This follows the second challenge from Kirby Inc. casting doubt on the trademark ownerships to the United States Patent and Trademark office. This second legal challenge no doubt confirms why Kirby had recently filed for US ownership of the Laser trademark, a move which had puzzled close observers of the unfolding drama.
This subject is now certain to be a hot topic at this weekend’s ISAF mid-year conference in Copenhagen.
Here is a copy of the petition to cancel the Laser trademark and Sunburst logo,
IN THE UNITED STATES PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE BEFORE THE TRADEMARK TRIAL AND APPEAL BOARD
IN THE MATTER OF U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,038,170 1,800,653
PETITION TO CANCEL Bruce Kirby, Inc. ('Petitioner') hereby petitions to cancel U.S. Trademark Registration
Nos. 1,038,170 (for the mark LASER) and 1,800,653 (for the mark ) (collectively, the 'LASER Trademarks') on the following grounds:
1. Bruce Kirby, Inc. is a Connecticut corporation having a place of business at 213 Rowayton Avenue, Rowayton, CT 06853.
2. According to the records of the USPTO, the current owner of U.S. Trademark Registration No. 1,038,170 is Karaya (Jersey) Limited, a corporation organized under the laws of Jersey, having an address at 14 Conway Street, St. Helier, Jersey.
3. According to the records of the USPTO, the current owner of U.S. Trademark Registration No. 1,800,653 is Karaya (Jersey) Limited, a corporation organized under the laws of Jersey, having an address at 14 Conway Street, St. Helier, Jersey.
4. Petitioner is actively engaged in the field of sailing and the design, manufacture, production, and licensing of boat designs for use in international sailing competitions including the Olympics, and has an interest in maintaining the integrity of those competitions, including without limitation, the trademarks used in connection with those competitions.
5. Petitioner is the owner of U.S. Trademark Application Serial No. 85876136 for the trademark LASER, filed on March 14, 2013 and alleges a bona fide intention to use the mark in commerce under Section 1(b) of the Lanham Act.
6. On information and belief, Registrant has ceased use of the LASER Trademarks in connection with the goods identified in U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,038,170 and 1,800,653 and intends not to resume such use.
7. On information and belief, Registrant has allowed numerous third parties to use the LASER Trademarks in connection with the goods identified in U.S. Trademark Registration No. U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,038,170 and 1,800,653 without authorization and/or license and/or without exercising control of the goods associated with the registered trademarks for a period of greater than three (3) years.
8. As a result of its non-use of the LASER Trademarks in connection with the goods identified in U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,038,170 and 1,800,653 with an intention not to resume use, Registrant has abandoned the LASER Trademarks with respect to those goods within the meaning of 15 U.S.C. § 1127.
9. As a result of its allowing third parties to use the LASER Trademarks in connection with the goods identified in U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,038,170 and 1,800,653, without authorization and/or license and/or without exercising control of the goods associated with the registered trademarks, Registrant has abandoned the LASER Trademarks with respect to those goods within the meaning of 15 U.S.C. § 1127.
WHEREFORE, Petitioner prays that the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board grant its petition and cancel U.S.
Trademark Registration Nos. 1,038,170 and 1,800,653.
Date: May 10, 2013
Wesley W. Whitmyer, Jr. Andy I. Corea Brian L. Repper ST. ONGE STEWARD JOHNSTON & REENS, LLC 986 Bedford Street Stamford, CT 06905 Telephone: (203) 324-6155 Facsimile: (203) 327-1096 Email: email@example.com
ATTORNEYS FOR PETITIONER
CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
This is to certify that on this date, a true copy of the foregoing PETITION TO CANCEL is being served, by first class mail, postage prepaid, to the owner of record of U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,038,170 and 1,800,653 at the address for the party identified as 'Current Owner' in the USPTO TSDR database: Karaya (Jersey) Limited 14 Conway Street St. Helier Jersey
With a copy by first class mail, postage prepaid, to the listed Domestic Representative for U.S. Trademark Registration No. 1,800,653:
Ilan Nordmann c/o Dory Ventures 25 Van Zant Street Norwalk, CT 06855
Ensign Ship Brokers
Ensign Ship Brokers was established in 1980 and has spent the last 28 years expanding our marine knowledge and developing our reputation! We strive to provide the very best service! [More info]
Festival of Sails
The Festival of Sails is the largest annual keel boat regatta in the Southern Hemisphere with over 400 yachts and 4300 competitors annually taking part in the event. [More info]
GME Standard Communications Pty Ltd
Leaders in communications and navigation. Their goal has always been to make products whose innovation, convenience and peace of mind can help improve the lives of their customers. [More info]
Hood Sailmakers (Aust) P/L is 100% Australian owned and operated. The first sail loft outside of the USA to be granted a franchise in 1968 by the founder Ted Hood. [More info]
Navionics is proud of its superb cartographic database comprising more than 25,000 charts and port plans; the largest privately owned database of its kind, the only one using full seamless technology [More info]
Performance Sailcraft Australia (Asia Pacific)
Laser builder Performance Sailcraft Australia has taken on the successful RS Sailboat range from Britain, and is now licensed to build and distribute all of the RS range in the Asia Pacific region. [More info]
Quantum Australasia Pty Ltd
Quantum Sail Design Group designs, engineers and manufactures sails for racers and cruisers who demand the highest levels of quality and performance. [More info]
Ullman Sails Australia
The Ullman Sails Australia team provides service to customers all over Australia with four main locations in Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and the Whitsundays. [More info]
Vicsail Sydney Pty Ltd, launched into the Australian sailing fraternity in 1983 and has been sailing strong ever since. At Vicsail, “We Sail the Boats We Sell”. [More info]