sail-world.com -- Getting your boat to shine in all weathers
Getting your boat to shine in all weathers
Sat, 16 Mar 2013
Do you end up with 'swipe marks' on your boat after cleaning? Do your zippers jam with salt? Do you find that even rain dirties your boat? Apart from moving to somewhere pristine and unpolluted, what can you do about these challenges? Here the cleaning experts at Shurhold give their Top Seven Tips for effective and easy washing:
1. Always rinse down the area to be cleaned prior to washing. This helps remove any loose surface grime preventing you from scrubbing it into the finish.
2. 'Dirty' rain can leave black streaks. Try to wash them off immediately. The sooner you do it, the easier they will be to remove.
3. Less is more when it comes to mixing soap with water. Too much soap will make it hard to rinse leaving soap scum.
4. Wash early or late in the day, avoiding intense sunlight will make it easier to clean because the areas you are working on won’t dry too quickly.
5. Use a microfibre cloth for the best results always.
6. Once everything is clean, wax or polish it to make the next cleaning easier. Keep a good coat of wax on all metal hardware to prevent corrosion. You’ll recoup the cost of all the cleaning, polishing and waxing products you use in your investment’s resale value.
7. To help prevent corrosion on seals, hinges, snaps and zippers, they should be coated with water-resistant lubricant. Care must be exercised when applying liquid or spray lubricants. Some are petroleum-based, and drips or overspray may harm gelcoat or clear coat, upholstery and fabric. (Shurhold offers a handy stick-style lubricant called Snap Stick.)
Just using these seven great tips could stop you deciding to sell the boat!
Sail-World Cruising would like to thank Shurhold for their advice in these Tips.
Ensign Ship Brokers
Ensign Ship Brokers was established in 1980 and has spent the last 28 years expanding our marine knowledge and developing our reputation! We strive to provide the very best service! [More info]
GME Standard Communications Pty Ltd
Leaders in communications and navigation. Their goal has always been to make products whose innovation, convenience and peace of mind can help improve the lives of their customers. [More info]
Hamilton Island Luxury Accommodation
Full range of private apartments, villas and houses on Hamilton Island. 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 bedroom options available. All include buggy and island airport or marina transfers. [More info]
Multihull Solutions is Australia and New Zealand’s premier offshore and cruising catamaran and trimaran specialist, offering sales and servicing of the world’s finest multihull brands.
Navionics is proud of its superb cartographic database comprising more than 25,000 charts and port plans; the largest privately owned database of its kind, the only one using full seamless technology [More info]
OziOpti is all about 'getting kids in boats' and the Australian company supporting the introduction to of the world’s most popular junior sailing yacht, the 'International Optimist Dinghy' [More info]
Sealink Magnetic Island Race Week
Entries for the fourth annual Sealink Magnetic Island Race Week have opened! 4 days of racing, 5 days of fun – that is what you can look forward to from 3-7 September at Magnetic Island. [More info]
Sydney International Boat Show
The 40th Sydney International Boat Show
will be held at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre & Cockle Bay Marina, Darling Harbour, Sydney Australia
Ullman Sails Australia
The Ullman Sails Australia team provides service to customers all over Australia with four main locations in Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and the Whitsundays. [More info]
Vicsail Sydney Pty Ltd, launched into the Australian sailing fraternity in 1983 and has been sailing strong ever since. At Vicsail, “We Sail the Boats We Sell”. [More info]