sail-world.com -- Vendee Globe skippers show support for disqualified Bernard Stamm
Vendee Globe skippers show support for disqualified Bernard Stamm
Sun, 6 Jan 2013
Some of the competing Vendee Globe skippers, without passing comment on the jury’s decision, have expressed their support for Bernard Stamm in the context of his request to reopen the case.
Nobody is calling into question the international jury’s neutrality and impartiality and the skippers have chosen to share their opinion on the matter as they believe that this should be taken into account in the final decision. Hereafter is the letter sent to the Presidents of the Jury, the Race Committee and the SAEM Vendée:
Around the World January 4, 2013,
• Mr Bernard Bonneau, Chairman of the Jury • Mr Christophe Gaumont, Chairman of theRace Committee • Mr Bruno Retailleau, Chairman of the SAEM Vendée,
Subject: Protest Race Committee against Cheminées Poujoulat - Cases n°4 and n° 5
We, skippers of the 2012-2013 Vendée Globe, ask that the judgment against Bernard Stamm is revised.
We believe that his disqualification is unfair and that he deserves the right to finish the race and to be ranked.
We ask for this revision on the basis of the following facts:
• Bernard moored his boat on his own;
• The Russian ship moored after Bernard did;
• This became a danger which did not exist when Bernard originally moored his boat;
• The series of facts that followed are consequences of this danger and they could not be foreseen;
• The conduct of the Russian crew was in conformity with Article 7.5 of the Notice of Race on rescue and assistance at sea;
• The conduct of the sailors, on both sides, was exemplary and it deserves to be appreciated not punished;
• Should Bernard have broken the rule, it would have been unwittingly, and we strongly believe that Bernard strictly conformed to the spirit of the rule;
• We consider that the situation Bernard has faced is a force majeure event.
We thank you for taking our views into account in your final decision.
Alex Thomson - Armel Le Cléac’h - Arnaud Boissières - Alessandro di Benedetto - Bertrand De Broc - Dominique Wavre - François Gabart - Javier Sanso - Jean le Cam - Jean-Pierre Dick - Kito de Pavant - Louis Burton - Marc Guillemot - Mike Golding - Samantha Davies - Tanguy De Lamotte
* Vincent Riou, Jérémie Beyou and Zbigniew Gutkowski could not be reached
Burke Marine, suppliers of international quality marine clothing and equipment, was founded by Martin Burke on the shores of Sydney Harbour in 1971. Visit our website for your nearest stockist. [More info]
Ensign Ship Brokers
Ensign Ship Brokers was established in 1980 and has spent the last 28 years expanding our marine knowledge and developing our reputation! We strive to provide the very best service! [More info]
GME Standard Communications Pty Ltd
Leaders in communications and navigation. Their goal has always been to make products whose innovation, convenience and peace of mind can help improve the lives of their customers. [More info]
Hamilton Island Luxury Accommodation
Full range of private apartments, villas and houses on Hamilton Island. 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 bedroom options available. All include buggy and island airport or marina transfers. [More info]
Multihull Solutions is Australia and New Zealand’s premier offshore and cruising catamaran and trimaran specialist, offering sales and servicing of the world’s finest multihull brands.
Navionics is proud of its superb cartographic database comprising more than 25,000 charts and port plans; the largest privately owned database of its kind, the only one using full seamless technology [More info]
OziOpti is all about 'getting kids in boats' and the Australian company supporting the introduction to of the world’s most popular junior sailing yacht, the 'International Optimist Dinghy' [More info]
Sealink Magnetic Island Race Week
Entries for the fourth annual Sealink Magnetic Island Race Week have opened! 4 days of racing, 5 days of fun – that is what you can look forward to from 3-7 September at Magnetic Island. [More info]
Vicsail Sydney Pty Ltd, launched into the Australian sailing fraternity in 1983 and has been sailing strong ever since. At Vicsail, “We Sail the Boats We Sell”. [More info]