sail-world.com -- Vendee Globe skippers show support for disqualified Bernard Stamm
Vendee Globe skippers show support for disqualified Bernard Stamm
Sun, 6 Jan 2013
Some of the competing Vendee Globe skippers, without passing comment on the jury’s decision, have expressed their support for Bernard Stamm in the context of his request to reopen the case.
Nobody is calling into question the international jury’s neutrality and impartiality and the skippers have chosen to share their opinion on the matter as they believe that this should be taken into account in the final decision. Hereafter is the letter sent to the Presidents of the Jury, the Race Committee and the SAEM Vendée:
Around the World January 4, 2013,
• Mr Bernard Bonneau, Chairman of the Jury • Mr Christophe Gaumont, Chairman of theRace Committee • Mr Bruno Retailleau, Chairman of the SAEM Vendée,
Subject: Protest Race Committee against Cheminées Poujoulat - Cases n°4 and n° 5
We, skippers of the 2012-2013 Vendée Globe, ask that the judgment against Bernard Stamm is revised.
We believe that his disqualification is unfair and that he deserves the right to finish the race and to be ranked.
We ask for this revision on the basis of the following facts:
• Bernard moored his boat on his own;
• The Russian ship moored after Bernard did;
• This became a danger which did not exist when Bernard originally moored his boat;
• The series of facts that followed are consequences of this danger and they could not be foreseen;
• The conduct of the Russian crew was in conformity with Article 7.5 of the Notice of Race on rescue and assistance at sea;
• The conduct of the sailors, on both sides, was exemplary and it deserves to be appreciated not punished;
• Should Bernard have broken the rule, it would have been unwittingly, and we strongly believe that Bernard strictly conformed to the spirit of the rule;
• We consider that the situation Bernard has faced is a force majeure event.
We thank you for taking our views into account in your final decision.
Alex Thomson - Armel Le Cléac’h - Arnaud Boissières - Alessandro di Benedetto - Bertrand De Broc - Dominique Wavre - François Gabart - Javier Sanso - Jean le Cam - Jean-Pierre Dick - Kito de Pavant - Louis Burton - Marc Guillemot - Mike Golding - Samantha Davies - Tanguy De Lamotte
* Vincent Riou, Jérémie Beyou and Zbigniew Gutkowski could not be reached
Ensign Ship Brokers
Ensign Ship Brokers was established in 1980 and has spent the last 28 years expanding our marine knowledge and developing our reputation! We strive to provide the very best service! [More info]
Festival of Sails
The Festival of Sails is the largest annual keel boat regatta in the Southern Hemisphere with over 400 yachts and 4300 competitors annually taking part in the event. [More info]
GME Standard Communications Pty Ltd
Leaders in communications and navigation. Their goal has always been to make products whose innovation, convenience and peace of mind can help improve the lives of their customers. [More info]
Hood Sailmakers (Aust) P/L is 100% Australian owned and operated. The first sail loft outside of the USA to be granted a franchise in 1968 by the founder Ted Hood. [More info]
Navionics is proud of its superb cartographic database comprising more than 25,000 charts and port plans; the largest privately owned database of its kind, the only one using full seamless technology [More info]
Performance Sailcraft Australia (Asia Pacific)
Laser builder Performance Sailcraft Australia has taken on the successful RS Sailboat range from Britain, and is now licensed to build and distribute all of the RS range in the Asia Pacific region. [More info]
Quantum Australasia Pty Ltd
Quantum Sail Design Group designs, engineers and manufactures sails for racers and cruisers who demand the highest levels of quality and performance. [More info]
Ullman Sails Australia
The Ullman Sails Australia team provides service to customers all over Australia with four main locations in Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and the Whitsundays. [More info]
Vicsail Sydney Pty Ltd, launched into the Australian sailing fraternity in 1983 and has been sailing strong ever since. At Vicsail, “We Sail the Boats We Sell”. [More info]