sail-world.com -- Sailors for the Sea looks back on 2012
Sailors for the Sea looks back on 2012
Fri, 28 Dec 2012
Sailors for the Sea, a now not-so-new voice in ocean conservation, inspired in the USA but now spread to 13 other countries, and who educate and engage the sailing community in the worldwide protection of the oceans, looks back on 2012:
1. Sailors for the Sea programs reached 27 states & 13 Countries in 2012!
2. 80% of all contributions go directly to marine conservation programming according to a third party audit.
3. 80 different regatta venues ran more than 170 Clean Regattas with 80,000 participants. 70% of these regattas were certified at the Gold or Silver level, up 50% from 2011.
4. Fourteen Rainy Day Kits in our free library of marine science lesson plans educated 20,000 children at 110 different sites!
5. Sailors for the Sea has been an active participant in the World Bank Global Partnership for Oceans since the inception of the GPO in February of 2012.
6. Regatta organizers rated their experience using the Clean Regattas program an average of 4.8 of 5 stars.
7. Sailors for the Sea Japan celebrated their one year anniversary.
8. Five America's Cup World Series certified as Clean Regattas, with 98% of waste recycled or composted at the final event of 2012.
9. Tiller, our resident Salty Dog, promoted awareness for endangered sharks during Shark Week.
10. Our successful 'Welcome Aboard!' benefit in New York City featuring Charlie Rose, Dr. Jane Lubchenco and Sir Russell Coutts helped chart a strong financial course for 2013.
If you are moved by what you read, see, or hear about Sailors for the Sea, please support us. Your fully tax-deductible charitable gift will have a powerful impact on our ocean conservation goals.
To learn more about Sailors for the Sea, do go to their website
Burke Marine, suppliers of international quality marine clothing and equipment, was founded by Martin Burke on the shores of Sydney Harbour in 1971. Visit our website for your nearest stockist. [More info]
Ensign Ship Brokers
Ensign Ship Brokers was established in 1980 and has spent the last 28 years expanding our marine knowledge and developing our reputation! We strive to provide the very best service! [More info]
GME Standard Communications Pty Ltd
Leaders in communications and navigation. Their goal has always been to make products whose innovation, convenience and peace of mind can help improve the lives of their customers. [More info]
Hamilton Island Luxury Accommodation
Full range of private apartments, villas and houses on Hamilton Island. 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 bedroom options available. All include buggy and island airport or marina transfers. [More info]
Multihull Solutions is Australia and New Zealand’s premier offshore and cruising catamaran and trimaran specialist, offering sales and servicing of the world’s finest multihull brands.
Navionics is proud of its superb cartographic database comprising more than 25,000 charts and port plans; the largest privately owned database of its kind, the only one using full seamless technology [More info]
OziOpti is all about 'getting kids in boats' and the Australian company supporting the introduction to of the world’s most popular junior sailing yacht, the 'International Optimist Dinghy' [More info]
Sealink Magnetic Island Race Week
Entries for the fourth annual Sealink Magnetic Island Race Week have opened! 4 days of racing, 5 days of fun – that is what you can look forward to from 3-7 September at Magnetic Island. [More info]
Vicsail Sydney Pty Ltd, launched into the Australian sailing fraternity in 1983 and has been sailing strong ever since. At Vicsail, “We Sail the Boats We Sell”. [More info]