Bell’s Beer Bayview Mackinac Race organizers have a knack for working with local communities to rev up excitement for the race, and all the while, they are thinking about giving back. Even if one doesn’t own a sailboat there are several ways to get involved with the race, which celebrates its 90th edition Saturday, July 12.
Bayview Mackinac Race 2012
'It is important that as we grow the race, we continue to grow our community outreach efforts,' said 2014 Bayview Yacht Club Commodore Tim Prophit. 'Our sponsors Bell's Brewery and Metro Detroit Acura Dealers have generously allowed us to explore ideas we hadn't considered in the past. As the economy continues to improve, more companies see the strength of the race as a way to associate their brand with one of the true summer traditions in Michigan. Sailor and fan participation will continue to grow and one of the benefactors will continue to be our non-profit partners.'
Designed to help young adults with autism reach their full potential, Metro Detroit Acura Dealers' Set Sail for Autism provides participants with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) the opportunity to either take part in the 2014 Bell Beer Bayview Mackinac race, or sail back from Mackinac on one of five designated boats. Details on the program were shared on June 26 at Bell's Beer Bayview Mackinac Race Community Day at Bayview Yacht Club.
The Less Cancer Ride returns for its second year, featuring a field of cyclists riding from Port Huron to Mackinac, mirroring the journey the boats will take. Less Cancer is a campaign to bring awareness to increasing incidences of cancer and educates citizens about behavioral and environmental risks linked to cancer. Among the participants in this year's field is noted TV journalist Miles O'Brien, who recently lost his arm while working in the Philippines. More information can be found at Less Cancer.
New this year is the Bayview Tour of Michigan Contest, which will give one lucky winner a chance to win an incredible trip to enjoy some of the best sites and tastes Michigan has to offer. Anyone (not just sailors) can enter by visiting Metro Detroit Acura Dealers' website.
The prize package includes:
- One week's use of an Acura car of choice (gas and $1,000 spending money included);
- Two-night stay Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island with meals included;
- Two-night stay at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, (either weekday or weekend) in a Premium Class Suite, two concert tickets to a show at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, $100 towards spa services and $120 at Isabella's Italian Restaurant;
- Bell's Brewery VIP Tour, with lunch or dinner and beers at the pub, two tickets to a concert of choice at Bell's and incredible Bell's swag;
- Four hour sail on Lake St. Clair and VIP lunch or dinner at Bayview with 2014 Commodore Tim Prophit for up to for six people, courtesy of Quantum Sails;
- Quantum Sailing Gear Package that includes technical Quantum Racing apparel items: jacket, cap, polo shirt, technical shirt, shorts and belt.
'From Kalamazoo to Mt. Pleasant to Mackinac Island to the waters of Lake St. Clair this contest covers just about anywhere anyone would want to go in Michigan,' said Commodore Prophit. 'Our Tour of Michigan contest is truly a one-of-a-kind giveaway.