sail-world.com -- My Ten Sailing New Year Resolutions
My Ten Sailing New Year Resolutions
Thu, 10 Jan 2013
Lee Mylchreest is a cruising sailor but most of these 10 New Years resolutions resonate with racing sailors too. Enjoy
The brand new year is upon us and apart from wishing all a great 2013, I have thought seriously about my sailing over the last year, and this has given rise to my Ten New Year Resolutions. I share them with you below:
1. I promise to always put my house/car keys in a sailing bag and never carry them in my hand while hopping off or on the boat. I also promise not to lock the second set of keys inside the house.
2. I promise to always step off boat onto the dock FORWARD, so that I won't ever again miss the step and fall into the water.
3. I promise to attach my PLB to my inflatable PFD and wear them all the time at sea, so that I can be easily found when I fall overboard. I also promise never again to clean fish on the transom while sailing.
4. I promise never to totally believe my GPS while on the helm and always check by looking around at the real world, or better still listen to the person on the foredeck shouting 'watch out!'
5. I promise never again to attach the dinghy to the boat with a non-floating painter, so that it can't get caught around the propeller.
6. I promise not to argue when the skipper shouts rude things at me, but merely to jump sideways to avoid being hit by the yacht T-boning us.
7. I promise to always use a secure knot to attach the mooring buoy to our deck cleat, so that our boat won't detach itself during lunch and go drifting into the other boats in the anchorage.
8. I promise never to use swear words on a boat again, particularly when my mother comes sailing with us for the day.
9. I promise to recognise that the skipper is nervous and lacking in confidence and that is why he shouts uncontrollably, and to never again dive over and swim home, leaving it to him to get the boat home solo.
10. I promise to try to find another better skipper this year. I am less sure about this one though, because I had the same New Year Resolution last year.
Ensign Ship Brokers
Ensign Ship Brokers was established in 1980 and has spent the last 28 years expanding our marine knowledge and developing our reputation! We strive to provide the very best service! [More info]
Festival of Sails
The Festival of Sails is the largest annual keel boat regatta in the Southern Hemisphere with over 400 yachts and 4300 competitors annually taking part in the event. [More info]
GME Standard Communications Pty Ltd
Leaders in communications and navigation. Their goal has always been to make products whose innovation, convenience and peace of mind can help improve the lives of their customers. [More info]
Hood Sailmakers (Aust) P/L is 100% Australian owned and operated. The first sail loft outside of the USA to be granted a franchise in 1968 by the founder Ted Hood. [More info]
Mauri Pro Sailing
Your direct access to sailing solutions. 8,000+ products for cruising and racing sailors and sailboats. We search for appropriate sailboat hardware or sailing gear and offer them at competitive prices [More info]
Navionics is proud of its superb cartographic database comprising more than 25,000 charts and port plans; the largest privately owned database of its kind, the only one using full seamless technology [More info]
Performance Sailcraft Australia (Asia Pacific)
Laser builder Performance Sailcraft Australia has taken on the successful RS Sailboat range from Britain, and is now licensed to build and distribute all of the RS range in the Asia Pacific region. [More info]
Quantum Australasia Pty Ltd
Quantum Sail Design Group designs, engineers and manufactures sails for racers and cruisers who demand the highest levels of quality and performance. [More info]
Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show
The Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show (SCIBS) is an annual four-day event which attracts buyers and marine industry representatives from across Australia and around the globe. [More info]
Sydney Rigging Specialists
Sydney Rigging Specialists is a leading company in the supply of yacht rigging, cordage, marine fittings and accessories. We are based in Sydney and work from our specially fitted out rigging shop. [More info]
Ullman Sails Australia
The Ullman Sails Australia team provides service to customers all over Australia with four main locations in Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and the Whitsundays. [More info]
Vicsail Sydney Pty Ltd, launched into the Australian sailing fraternity in 1983 and has been sailing strong ever since. At Vicsail, “We Sail the Boats We Sell”. [More info]