West Marine announces prize for 'Green Product of the Year Award'
by West Marine on 18 Oct 2013
West Marine, the USA's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has announced it is accepting nominations for its fifth annual 'Green Product of the Year Award.' The contest is accepting entries from the U.S. and Canada, excluding the province of Quebec.
Green Product of the Year Award .. .
Through the award West Marine hopes to encourage green product development throughout the boating, fishing and water sports industries, said Matt Hyde, CEO of West Marine.
'We are proud to promote green product development through the launching of our fifth annual Green Product of the Year contest,' Hyde said. 'We want to encourage and support sustainable innovation in the marine industry.'
The Green Product of the Year is a major component of West Marine’s BlueFuture initiative to help create a sustainable future for the planet. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated official winner at the 2014 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individual manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
1. Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
2. Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
3. Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metrics.
4. Degree of Innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
5. Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2013 or will it be introduced in 2014?
6. Verification of Claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green before Nov. 22.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/115871