Please select your home edition
Edition
Lancer Not Equal

Sydney's 'Alfreds' features Nick Martin on 'Round World Cruising'

by Nancy Knudsen on 18 Jun 2013
RPAYC - great venue for both sailing and social activities .. .
If you are anywhere in reach of the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club on Sydney's northern beaches, you won't want to miss the presentation that Nick Martin is giving on their regular 'First Friday' Cruising dinner - and you DON'T have to be a member of the club.

'First Fridays' are the Club's way of gathering cruising sailors together to discuss their next - or their last - cruise, enjoy a great meal in their fine clubhouse on the water at Newport, and hear a wide variety of sailing speakers.

The fifth of July - first Friday - is the date for the next gathering, and Nick Martin is a proven high-energy speaker with lots to say about rallying around the world.

He'll not only talk of all the rallies of the World Cruising Club, he'll also talk about everything to do with that lifelong dream of sailing your own boat around the world.

As he guides you westwards, Nick will be chatting about some of the lesser-known corners of our planet, and sharing behind-the-scenes anecdotes from organising and delivering the world's largest sailing rallies.

With a backdrop of stunning images that will make you want to cast off your lines and head out into the big blue, this First Friday Dinner is really recommended for everyone - whether you just dream of faraway shores, or are seriously considering one day embarking on the ultimate challenge of a circumnavigation.

As it is July, this 'First Friday' will sport a 'Christmas in July' menu. Dinner is 7.00pm for 7.30pm.

For more information, and to book, http://www.rpayc.com.au/cruising/first-friday-form!click_here! - or ring the Club on (02) 9998 3700 and book with Reception.
Hamilton Island LuxuryHarken AUS Reflex 660x82navathome 660x82

Related Articles

Newport Bermuda Race - High Noon takes honours
As the Newport Bermuda Race fleet rushed to the finish line on Monday in the wake of the first-to-finish boat, As the Newport Bermuda Race fleet rushed to the finish line on Monday in the wake of the first-to-finish boat, the powerful 100-foot grand prix Comanche, to the surprise of many they were led by an unusual boat and crew. High Noon, at 41 feet, is fully 59 feet shorter than Comanche and tens of feet shorter than many other entries.
Posted on 22 Jun
Platino recovery - Family confirms that tug has made rendezvous
Reports in social media say a salvage tug has made a rendezvous with the Platino earlier than expected. Reports in social media by family and friends of Nick Saull, the crew member killed during a catastrophic incident abroad the 66ft yacht Platino say the salvage tug which left on Tuesday night has made the rendezvous earlier than expected. The Facebook report says the tug, Sea Pelican, arrived on Friday morning, the weather in the area has eased and with a more favorable outlook.
Posted on 16 Jun
Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron to ban bottled water
Approval has been given to create a ban on bottled water that comes in plastic containers. The RQYS Management Committee has confirmed that approval has been given to create a ban on bottled water that comes in plastic containers. This will place the club as a leader in environmental impact management in Australia and around the world. The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club earlier this year did likewise. Who’s next?
Posted on 16 Jun
Platino recovery operation well underway as crew arrive in Auckland
An ocean-going tug has left Whangarei to locate and attempt to salvage the luxury yacht Platino An ocean-going tug left Whangarei late on Tuesday night to locate and attempt to salvage the luxury yacht Platino which has been abandoned 550km NE of New Zealand. Weather dependent, we could reach Platino by Saturday and have the yacht and body of the person on board back in New Zealand early next week,” says Inspector Graham of the NZ Police.
Posted on 16 Jun
Search for Platino crew member lost in Pacific Ocean is suspended
Maritime New Zealand have advised that the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) has suspended the search for t Maritime New Zealand have advised that the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) has suspended the search for the sailor lost overboard from the yacht Platino on Monday morning, 550km north of New Zealand. Sail-World understands that a tug has left NZ to rendezvous with the boat. That boat is believed to have an NZ Police officer on board responsible for the recovery of the deceased.
Posted on 15 Jun
Platino survivors expected in Auckland on Thursday
Southern Lily, with three crew members from the 66ft yacht Platino aboard, is expected to arrive in Auckland on Thursday The container ship, Southern Lily, with three crew members from the 66ft yacht Platino aboard, is expected to arrive in Auckland on Thursday morning. The master of the Southern Lily, Shashi Prakash, said that seas in the region at the time of the rescue were 3 metres high making for a tricky operation to rendezvous with the dismasted yacht.
Posted on 15 Jun
Platino rescue - Three crew safely aboard container ship
Two men and a woman have been rescued from their battered yacht, Platino, around 550 kilometres north of New Zealand Two men and a woman have been rescued from their battered yacht, Platino, around 550 kilometres north of New Zealand by the crew of the container ship Southern Lily. A rescue line was used to help get the trio safely on board around 3pm.
Posted on 14 Jun
Platino rescue - Top boatbuilder named as dead crew member
Maritime New Zealand has advised that a container ship is re-routing to assist three people aboard the Platino Maritime New Zealand has advised that a container ship is re-routing to assist three people aboard the battered yacht, Platino, 550 kilometres north of NZ. The stuff.co.nz website is reporting that the man who died onboard a yacht north of New Zealand was Nick Saull, the head of an Auckland boat building company, Brin Wilson Boatbuilders, located at Gulf Harbour about 40 minutes north of Auckland.
Posted on 13 Jun
One dead, one missing off 20 metre yacht in gale force winds
Maritime NZ has reported that a search is underway for a sailor lost overboard from a yacht another has been killed Maritime NZ has reported that a search is underway for a sailor lost overboard from a yacht 550km (300 nautical miles) north of New Zealand. The Rescue Coordination Centre NZ was advised at 11.20am today (Monday, 13 June) that one male had been killed and another man, in his 60s, knocked overboard from the 20m yacht
Posted on 13 Jun
Boaters warned to navitage safely as severe weather sets in across NSW
Roads and Maritime Services Director Maritime Angus Mitchell said Operation Boat Safe: Navigate Safely starts tomorrow. Roads and Maritime Services Director Maritime Angus Mitchell said Operation Boat Safe: Navigate Safely starts tomorrow and will continue until sundown on Monday 13 June.
Posted on 3 Jun