Please select your home edition
Edition
Southern Spars

Sailors' warning- Abandoned 11m ketch adrift in Bass Strait

by John Curnow on 4 Feb 2014
11m ketch abandoned in Bass Strait Sydney TrailerBoat & Outdoor Leisure Show
At 1900hrs AEDT yesterday, an 11m ketch with three POB set off their EPIRB. This was registered to the vessel's former owner still. The craft had been sold in Melbourne within the last week and the crew were delivering it from Melbourne to Tasmania.

Contact was made by the Victorian Air Ambulance who dropped a VHF handset to the vessel, but in the low light could not perform any winch extractions. AMSA's Dornier fixed wing aircraft from Essendon then took over sentry duties until the men could be alighted to the closest commercial ship. AMSA spokeswoman Lisa Martin said that ship arrived in Melbourne earlier this morning and one man in his 70's was taken to the Alfred for a cut on the leg.

The distress signal was transmitted when the vessel was approximately 53 nautical miles Sou'west of Wilsons Promontory in Eastern Victoria.

How the vessel came to be there when a heavy (40kn gust) Southerly change had gone through Melbourne yesterday around lunchtime is unclear, but rescue authorities say the reason given for the extraction was that they were 'not able to contend with the conditions'.

A Notice to Mariners has been published, as the vessel is abandoned, adrift and unlit.
Pacific Sailing School 660x82 1Ensign 660T Clewring J-class

Related Articles

Free $US3,000 Carbon Vang with SouthernFurl boom orders in July
Southern Spars is giving a free carbon vang - valued at US$3,000 - with SouthernFurl in-boom furlers ordered in July Southern Spars is giving away a free carbon vang - valued at US$3,000 - with all of their SouthernFurl in-boom furlers ordered in July. Carbon gas vangs make a great addition to the furling boom package, though if you’d prefer to keep your existing one, Southern Spars will offer you a 5% discount on the price of your boom instead.
Posted on 29 Jun
Newport Bermuda Race - High Noon takes honours
As the Newport Bermuda Race fleet rushed to the finish line on Monday in the wake of the first-to-finish boat, As the Newport Bermuda Race fleet rushed to the finish line on Monday in the wake of the first-to-finish boat, the powerful 100-foot grand prix Comanche, to the surprise of many they were led by an unusual boat and crew. High Noon, at 41 feet, is fully 59 feet shorter than Comanche and tens of feet shorter than many other entries.
Posted on 22 Jun
Platino recovery - Family confirms that tug has made rendezvous
Reports in social media say a salvage tug has made a rendezvous with the Platino earlier than expected. Reports in social media by family and friends of Nick Saull, the crew member killed during a catastrophic incident abroad the 66ft yacht Platino say the salvage tug which left on Tuesday night has made the rendezvous earlier than expected. The Facebook report says the tug, Sea Pelican, arrived on Friday morning, the weather in the area has eased and with a more favorable outlook.
Posted on 16 Jun
Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron to ban bottled water
Approval has been given to create a ban on bottled water that comes in plastic containers. The RQYS Management Committee has confirmed that approval has been given to create a ban on bottled water that comes in plastic containers. This will place the club as a leader in environmental impact management in Australia and around the world. The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club earlier this year did likewise. Who’s next?
Posted on 16 Jun
Platino recovery operation well underway as crew arrive in Auckland
An ocean-going tug has left Whangarei to locate and attempt to salvage the luxury yacht Platino An ocean-going tug left Whangarei late on Tuesday night to locate and attempt to salvage the luxury yacht Platino which has been abandoned 550km NE of New Zealand. Weather dependent, we could reach Platino by Saturday and have the yacht and body of the person on board back in New Zealand early next week,” says Inspector Graham of the NZ Police.
Posted on 16 Jun
Search for Platino crew member lost in Pacific Ocean is suspended
Maritime New Zealand have advised that the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) has suspended the search for t Maritime New Zealand have advised that the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) has suspended the search for the sailor lost overboard from the yacht Platino on Monday morning, 550km north of New Zealand. Sail-World understands that a tug has left NZ to rendezvous with the boat. That boat is believed to have an NZ Police officer on board responsible for the recovery of the deceased.
Posted on 15 Jun
Platino survivors expected in Auckland on Thursday
Southern Lily, with three crew members from the 66ft yacht Platino aboard, is expected to arrive in Auckland on Thursday The container ship, Southern Lily, with three crew members from the 66ft yacht Platino aboard, is expected to arrive in Auckland on Thursday morning. The master of the Southern Lily, Shashi Prakash, said that seas in the region at the time of the rescue were 3 metres high making for a tricky operation to rendezvous with the dismasted yacht.
Posted on 15 Jun
Platino rescue - Three crew safely aboard container ship
Two men and a woman have been rescued from their battered yacht, Platino, around 550 kilometres north of New Zealand Two men and a woman have been rescued from their battered yacht, Platino, around 550 kilometres north of New Zealand by the crew of the container ship Southern Lily. A rescue line was used to help get the trio safely on board around 3pm.
Posted on 14 Jun
Platino rescue - Top boatbuilder named as dead crew member
Maritime New Zealand has advised that a container ship is re-routing to assist three people aboard the Platino Maritime New Zealand has advised that a container ship is re-routing to assist three people aboard the battered yacht, Platino, 550 kilometres north of NZ. The stuff.co.nz website is reporting that the man who died onboard a yacht north of New Zealand was Nick Saull, the head of an Auckland boat building company, Brin Wilson Boatbuilders, located at Gulf Harbour about 40 minutes north of Auckland.
Posted on 13 Jun
One dead, one missing off 20 metre yacht in gale force winds
Maritime NZ has reported that a search is underway for a sailor lost overboard from a yacht another has been killed Maritime NZ has reported that a search is underway for a sailor lost overboard from a yacht 550km (300 nautical miles) north of New Zealand. The Rescue Coordination Centre NZ was advised at 11.20am today (Monday, 13 June) that one male had been killed and another man, in his 60s, knocked overboard from the 20m yacht
Posted on 13 Jun