Evolution™ autopilots – the shape of things to come
by Polly Tyekiff on 20 Feb 2013
From the company that conceived the Autohelm, Raymarine is ecstatic to preview the very latest in autopilot technology; Evolution™ autopilots. The Evolution™ combines advanced aerospace guidance technology with Raymarine’s marine autopilot expertise to deliver a new level of accurate autopilot control.
EV Front View Raymarine Sales
Tasked with producing an autopilot that has superior performance compared to anything available on the market, has no need of a set-up compass swing or calibration, and does not need to be adjusted to the boat to which it is fitted, the Raymarine teams have achieved their goal. This innovative breakthrough in autopilot intelligence uses Evolution AI™ control algorithms which enable Evolution autopilots to perceive their environment and then instantly calculate and evolve steering commands to maximize performance. The result is precise and confident course keeping, regardless of vessel speed or sea conditions.
At the heart of the Evolution autopilot system is the ultra-compact, EV sensor core; a 9-axis heading sensor and full function course computer in one. Around the same size as a typical marine GPS sensor, the EV sensor core can be either bracket-mounted or flush-mounted horizontally, and as it is built to IPX6 and IPX7 waterproofing and submersion standards, it can be installed above or below decks as space and practicality dictate.
The EV sensor core comes in two versions; EV-1 for Raymarine drive systems and EV-2 for drive-by-wire systems. EV-1 uses SeaTalkng cabling for a single power and data connection to an Actuator Control Unit (ACU) which provides power and signal only to a Raymarine hydraulic or mechanical autopilot drive system.
EV-2 simply uses a direct DeviceNet connection to a third party drive-by-wire system such as Teleflex Optimus 360, Volvo Penta IPS or ZF Pod Drive. Autopilot control is via the p70 or p70R control head.
Setting-up an Evolution autopilot takes just 30 seconds; select the boat type – large power, small power, or sail; select the drive type – hydraulic, mechanical, or outboard; and choose the performance level – performance, cruise, or leisure, it is as easy as that.
EV Sensor Core benefits
• Precision monitoring of heading, pitch, roll, and yaw allowing the autopilot to evolve instantly as sea conditions and vessel dynamics change.
• Flexible installation options. Mount above or below deck.
• Simple SeaTalkng connectivity to the control head and ACU.
• Solid state sensor technology delivers dynamic accuracy to within two degrees in all conditions.
• Auto-compensation for on board magnetic fields and reliable heading accuracy in northern and southern extremes.
• Fast and reliable heading data for MARPA, radar overlay, and heading modes on Raymarine multifunction displays.
Evolution autopilot benefits
On Track Performance
• Smoother, more progressive turn-in.
• Assured performance for all hull types, at all speeds, with no calibration.
• Automatic optimal boat response in all sea states and weather conditions
• Selectable modes emphasize comfort, economy, or accuracy
• Solid state technology with 9-axis stabilization.
• Dynamic accuracy to within 2 degrees in all conditions.
• Automatic compensation for magnetic fields.
• Enhanced accuracy in extreme north and south latitudes.
Evolution™ Autopilots available from June 2013.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/106739