DAME awards soon to be announced for 2013 - 52 finalists
by nk on 25 Oct 2013
The DAME Awards are on again. The world’s number one international design competition for new marine equipment and accessories will be announced during the Marine Equipments Trade Show (METS) in Amsterdam, 19-21 November.
Some of the DAME Award winners at a previous METS Tradeshow David Schmidt
To win the DAME is the ultimate accolade for marine companies and innovators, and all the nominations for the award are seen as trendsetters for the next generation of product development.
METS organisers have announced that a total of 115 products entered into this year’s design competition and that 52 have now been nominated to go forward for final judging.
This year’s design competition received entries from all around the world, with the successful nominations coming from 12 nations.
The DAME Jury will eventually choose a maximum of seven Category Winners and one Overall Winner.
The Overall Winner and Category Winners will be announced at a special Breakfast Briefing on Tuesday November 19th at 8 a.m. prior to the start of the METS show. The briefing is held in the Forum of Amsterdam RAI.
During METS, all of the short-listed products will be put on display in a special DAME presentation
Chairman of the DAME Awards Jury, Bill Dixon, comments: 'The number of nominations this year is the highest for some time,' Dixon reports. 'This reflects the overall quality of the entry, which is undoubtedly improved on previous years.
The DAME Jury carefully assess entries for overall design, build quality, functionality, and use of materials. Other factors taken into account are originality, ergonomics and price/quality ratio. The short listed products are divided into seven categories:
1. Marine electronics and related software
2. Interior equipment, furnishings, materials, and electrical fittings used in cabins
3. Marina equipment, boatyard equipment, and boat construction tools and materials
4. Deck equipment, sails, and rigging
5. Clothing and crew accessories
6. Lifesaving and safety equipment
7. Machinery, propulsion, mechanical and electrical systems, and fittings
DAME JURY 2013
This year’s DAME Jury is made up of 10 leading industry experts:
• Bill Dixon, Dixon Yacht Design (Chairman of the DAME Jury) - UK
• G N Bruens, TU Delft University of Technology - The Netherlands
• Torsten Conradi, Judel/Vrolijk & Co Engineering GmbH - Germany
• Andrea Frabetti, Ferretti Group/AYT-Advanced Yacht Technology - Italy
• Japec Jakopin, J&J Design/Seaway - Slovenia
• Udo Kleinitz, ICOMIA - UK
• Dennis O’Neill, senior editor, Yachting Monthly, IPC Media Marine Group - UK
• Jean Francois de Premorel, Prestige, Beneteau Groupe - France
• Nigel Calder, independent technical journalist specialising in boat electronics - USA
For more information about METS and DAME, go to the http://www.metstrade.com/!website.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/116052