470 World Championships - A spectacular wrap in Barcelona
by Luissa Smith on 20 May 2012
The final day of the 2012 470 World Championships in Barcelona was a spectacular wrap to seven days of intense and closely fought racing. Mat Belcher/Malcolm Page (AUS) have made it three World Championship titles in a row – a phenomenal achievement.
Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page Thom Touw © http://www.thomtouw.com
In the 470 Women event, Hannah Mills/Saskia Clark (GBR) make it a first for British sailing by winning the 470 World Championship title.
Seven new nations in the 470 Men event secured their place at the 2012 Olympic Sailing Competition, and five new nations in the 470 Women. The women’s qualification went to the bitter end and was only finalised after today’s race 13 in a nail biting finish.
Croatia and Poland’s teams make history for their nations by qualifying for the first time ever in the 470 Women event.
Lara Vadlau of Austria, at 18 years old the youngest helm competing, totally shone here in Barcelona, and dealt her cards perfectly with crew Eva-Maria Schimak to finish 25th overall and qualify Austria to the Olympics. Only last year, Vadlau won the 420 girls’ event at the 2011 ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships, and the year before that it was gold again at the inaugural Youth Olympic Games – watch this space.
Men – Final Top 10 Overall
Women – Final Top 10 Overall
Mathew Belcher/Malcolm Page (AUS) – 32pts
2. Pierre Leboucher/Vincent Garos (FRA) - 43 pts
3. Sime Fantela/Igor Marenic (CRO) - 67 pts
4. Joonas Lindgren/Niklas Lindgren (FIN) - 69 pts
5. Lucas Calabrese/Juan de la Fuente (ARG) – 74 pts
6. Ryunosuke Harada/Yugo Yoshida (JPN) - 83 pts
7. Onán Barreiros/Aarón Sarmiento (ESP) - 89 pts
8. Gideon Kliger/Eran Sela (ISR) - 93 pts
9. Panagiotis Kampouridis/Efstathios Papadopoulos (GRE) - 95 pts
10. Panagiotis Mantis/Pavlos Kagialis (GRE) - 110 pts
Hannah Mills/Saskia Clark (GBR) - 65 pts
2. Camille Lecointre/Mathilde Geron (FRA) - 67 pts
3. Lisa Westerhof/Lobke Berkhout (NED) - 67 pts
4. Jo Aleh/Polly Powrie (NZL) - 74 pts
5. Ingrid Petitjean/Nadege Douroux (FRA) - 88 pts
6. Ai Kondo/Wakako Tabata (JPN) - 94 pts
7. Henriette Koch/Lene Sommer (DEN) - 105 pts
8. Martine Grael/Isabel Swan (BRA) - 109 pts
9. Fernanda de Oliveira/Ana Barbachan (BRA) - 111 pts
10. Gil Cohen/Vered Bouskila (ISR) - 112 pts
Nations Qualified to the 2012 Olympic
(subject to ISAF Ratification)
A delighted 470 Class President commented, 'It has been a real privilege to witness World Championship successes and the final 470 teams secure Olympic qualification. The shoreside venue has been fantastic, and the racing area outstanding. Barcelona, and the Barcelona International Sailing Centre, is a true Olympic sailing venue.'
Full report to follow
470 World Championships website