The International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference (IBEX) today announced that the deadline for 2012 Innovation Award entries is Aug. 28, and named the panel of judges for the annual awards.
IBEX 2011 Winner - now calling for 2012 entries
'IBEX is, at its heart, a technology event where exhibitors show the new products and processes that will change the face of boating in the future,' said Carl Cramer, IBEX co-director and publisher of Professional BoatBuilder magazine. 'The annual Innovation Awards honor the best of the best, and have become hotly contested over the years.'
Innovation awards will be presented in the following categories:
• Boatbuilding methods and materials
• Deck equipment and hardware
• Furnishings and interior parts
• Mechanical systems
• Electrical systems
• Boatyard hardware
• Propulsion parts and propellers
• Boat care and maintenance
• OEM electronics
• Trailers, parts and trailer accessories
• Safety equipment
As in the past, the Innovation Award judging panel is made up of experienced technical writers and editors from Boating Writers International (BWI). The judges for 2012 are:
• Alan Wendt (Chair) – First vice president of BWI – freelance writer, former boating magazine publisher for Getaways and Adventures, past editor of CEO Magazine and producer of boating rendezvous events for manufacturers and retail dealers.
• Zuzana Prochazka – Former president of BWI – freelance writer and photographer for SAIL, Sea, Boats.com, Yachtworld, Lakeland Boating and other publications – also editor of TalkOfTheDock boat and gear website – presents on a variety of topics at boat shows and private seminars – holds a USCG 100-ton master license.
• Alan Jones – Executive editor of Boating World magazine – author of hundreds of articles about a wide variety of boating topics, including technical articles, features and gear reviews – tests nearly 100 boats per year – member of BWI Board of Directors and judge for Innovation Awards seven times.
• Captain Fred Davis – Freelance writer whose bylines appear in Heartland Boating, Mid-America Boating, Woods-N-Water News and a weekly Hearst newspaper column – owned and operated a marine salvage business, and served as a BoatUS towboat operator and captain of a 3-passenger charter boat on Lake Huron for 30 years – currently serves as marine insurance company consultant and arbitrator for BoatUS.
• Captain Lou Gainor – Award-winning host of Nautical Talk Radio, heard in New England states on 95.9FM WATD for 20 years – active member and Flotilla Staff Officer of U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary – has cruised with his family from Maine to Florida numerous times on both the inside and offshore.
• Milt Rosko – Award-winning boating and fishing writer with nine books to his credit – recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award from the Fisherman’s Conservation Association for his dedication to the angling community.
• Roger McAfee – author of The Warm Dry Boat, guest lecturer, contributor to Pacific Yachting, Sea, Southern Boating, Lakeland Boating, Showboats International and Dockwalk – former lawyer and past president of the Metal Boat Society.
IBEX, the premier boating industry trade show and networking event, will take place Oct. 2-4, 2012, at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville.
Owned and produced by Professional BoatBuilder magazine and the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA), IBEX is the marine industry’s largest technical trade event. For boatbuilders, marine industry dealers, aftermarket suppliers and buyers, designers, repairers, surveyors, and boatyard/marine operators, IBEX is where the business of boating gets done. For the latest information, visit www.ibexshow.com.
About Professional BoatBuilder magazine
Professional BoatBuilder, a boatbuilding-industry trade magazine, was first published in 1989 in response to a growing need for a dedicated forum for boatbuilding-related professionals. The magazine’s worldwide readership exceeds 24,000 (subject to BPA international audit). Professional BoatBuilder is online at www.proboat.com.
About NMMA:The NMMA is the leading association representing the recreational boating industry. NMMA member companies produce more than 80 percent of the boats, engines, trailers, accessories and gear used by boaters in North America. The association is dedicated to industry growth through programs in public policy advocacy, market statistics and research, product quality assurance and promotion of the boating lifestyle. Learn more at www.nmma.org.